Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: setting up account with distributors

setting up account with distributors 21 Jan 2004 09:37 #7535

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all...I'm in the process of buying a small town theater and am wondering how long it takes to set up accounts with distributors. How many weeks ahead do I need to apply? I'm thinking of booking this single screen myself.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: setting up account with distributors 21 Jan 2004 10:41 #7536

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The more time you allow, the better. All the filmcos have piles o' paperwork, and they're all different. Figure at least four weeks to get everything done, submitted, and approved.

Re: setting up account with distributors 21 Jan 2004 18:01 #7537

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
For Disney (Buena Vista)you better figure 6 to 8 weeks, and maybe longer. Be prepared for at least two of the distributors to lose everything you sent them, which means you will have to do it all over again... so make copies of everything.

Re: setting up account with distributors 21 Jan 2004 21:57 #7538

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
And you don't want to miss all the fun of signing personal guarantee letters and getting your signature notarized.

Re: setting up account with distributors 22 Jan 2004 09:00 #7539

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks! Does having a booker speed this process up at all?

Guess I'm in for it...

Re: setting up account with distributors 22 Jan 2004 12:37 #7540

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
A booker can get the papers sent to you, but you still need to do the paper work. I often choose not to answer questions that are none of their damned business -- and have nothing to do with the process. So far I haven't had them bounced back for it. I believe there was a thread here about that. They will lose you paper work and try to make it your fault. Renewal time usually comes right before a big film so the ol' "get this back to us signed or you don't get the film" ploy is often used. I'd give youself at least two months of lead time before expecting to book a film.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: setting up account with distributors 22 Jan 2004 13:09 #7541

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I agree with the 8 weeks. A booker won't make it go faster except that they do know the neccessary steps all the way down the line. If you are brand new: I reccomend a booker. They will ease you through 100 things that 3 years from now will seem like no big deal but will save you much heartache later. I do believe most singles and owner operated smaller outfits can do their own. I book my 2 & my 3 , it's fun, and I really enjoy it. But if I had tried to do it at the same as starting out I would have gone nuts and stepped on my own feet a lot. Get a booker to help you get started and if you're planning on taking over tell him/her up front that this is for one year/ make a contract/ and then you'll be reay to step up. It is a skill and an art and a good booker is worth their weight in gold. There are bookers who read these posts. Ask for proposals.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: setting up account with distributors 22 Feb 2004 21:40 #7542

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
Many thanks for the replies. I gave it a lot of thought.

Meanwhile, I called most of the distributors and got my applications in. I plan to book it myself. I think I can do it. There is no competition, and I plan to keep similar films in play here. I'd like to twin the theater down the line but that has to wait for now...

I hope it's okay to ask a few questions here, not too many to make a pest of myself!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction