Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cheap Theatres

Cheap Theatres 30 Jan 2004 13:51 #7442

• JamCo
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey everyone,

I'm new so if you've already answered this question I'm sorry.

I am thinking of opening a "cheap movie theatre", you know the one's. Where after big box theatre movies play for a fraction of the price. I am just starting to research the idea so I know very little. What are the costs involved with starting a theatre and are there any sites that can help. I am particularly interested in the costs of showing the movies as well as the screen and equipment.

Thanks,

JamCo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cheap Theatres 30 Jan 2004 15:46 #7443

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
JamCo,

Hi and welcome to the best source of info on the subject. I, myself recently opened a "cheap theater" although I like to think of it as a move-over house instead as I think it is anything but cheap. I offer tickets for everyone for $3.50 per seat and it seems to be drawing people from pretty far away and we are happy with it. I think you'd serve yourself best by going to the FAQ of this site, pouring a big cup of coffee and then going through old posts that you have questions on. Your questions as well as some you probably haven't even thought of yet will be answered there.

Good luck,

Leeler
"What a crazy business"

Re: Cheap Theatres 11 Feb 2004 13:21 #7444

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Isn't the biggest problem for move-over that films go to video/dvd so soon after they've been milked by the plexes? Short window of opps?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Cheap Theatres 11 Feb 2004 20:16 #7445

• crshedd
  • Senior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike:
<B>Isn't the biggest problem for move-over that films go to video/dvd so soon after they've been milked by the plexes? Short window of opps?

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wouldn't this smaller window before video street date also give you more control on how long you must show a particular movie? i would think in smaller towns a required 4 week run could hurt since everyone who will see it probably came out in the first week or two.

'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high
'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high

Re: Cheap Theatres 11 Feb 2004 20:44 #7446

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I still consider my situation move-over, even though some people say I am first run. Regardless, I often play movies for only four days and let them go. Based on my experience, generally once movies have been out for two-four weeks, they are often available for very short runs and at reasonable percentages. Of course this depends on the movie. Titanic and Spiderman have been the only exceptions that I can think of. I played each of them about six weeks out and paid dearly for them.

Re: Cheap Theatres 12 Feb 2004 14:15 #7447

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Burney - yes you really are first run. True moveover means that the picture has already played in the same market and your customers have already had the readily available opportunity to go see it. Trust me, most of them will have already gone. That is why moveover houses have to compete at lower prices and are usually talking to a different customer base than the first run house.

Those of you who get the opportunity to pick up good films which have not already played around you at lower contract terms are truly the lucky ones. Anything that we miss on the break will have already been readily available in our market area a mere 5 miles away. To people accustomed to driving 10-20 miles into work daily that is not even a vague impediment. If we pick it up after the break when a print becomes available, we will still be running it first run at the same prices they could have seen it on release day. Yes, the contract terms will be better maybe 40% or 35%, but it won't be moveover since we do not have wait to play until a certain theater drops it. BTW we waited 25 weeks for our first run theater to drop Titanic so that we could play it at the moveover single screen. You said that you picked it up about 6 weeks. See how wonderful first run can be?
We also waited 16 weeks to play The Sixth Sense. We didn't have to wait for Spiderman- we were on first run at that time. What a difference!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction