Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sales tax

Sales tax 07 Feb 2004 14:28 #7426

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Does your state collect sales tax on movie tix? Maine does not. They are talking about it. 6%. If they do I'll raise all my tik prices, blame it on the state, and make money on the deal. I'm not going to fight it as Maine has a real prop tax problem.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sales tax 07 Feb 2004 15:11 #7427

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Georgia collects sales tax on it ... both of our counties are 7%

Re: Sales tax 07 Feb 2004 16:18 #7428

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Iowa has it too. It just went up to 7% this year. I had just opened so couldn't really increase ticket prices so I just ate it. What a bummer.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Sales tax 07 Feb 2004 16:34 #7429

Nebraska has sales tax of 5.5% and our city has a sales tax of 1.5%. Total of 7%. Everything in the state must be priced first and then the the tax is added. A special law was added to allow ticket and certain types of food items can be sold tax included.

This was done so that a ticket can be sold for say $1.00 and the tax deducted from that instead of having to sell the ticket for $1.00 and then adding $.07 to it.

Makes a big difference in how fast sales can be made if you don't always have to fumble through the pennies.

Re: Sales tax 07 Feb 2004 17:04 #7430

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
California does not have a movie admission tax. Concessions are taxed at 7 1/4% or more depending on additional local taxes. Most theaters include the concession tax in the posted price.

Re: Sales tax 07 Feb 2004 17:56 #7431

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The state of Pennsylvania does not tax movie tickets as there is a state statute exempting movie tickets from any type of taxation. (Pennsylvania theater owners have a good well organized lobby.) However this statute recently took a sideways hit when the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that a local municpality could include movie ticket sales as part of revenues for purposes of that municipality's gross receipts tax (holding it was a tax on the gross receipts of the business and not a 'ticket tax' which was passed on to the consumer).

Pennsylvania sales tax applies to sales of taxable items at your concession stand. Popcorn, soda, ice cream are taxable, but coffee, tea, water, candy and juice are not. (Candy used to be taxable until a few years ago when the candy lobby - especially Hersheys - along with big help from the vending machine groups - got candy made sales tax exempt). Partly because the Pennsylvania system is a hodgepodge of somethings are and somethings are not sales taxable and partly out of what maybe best be called misguided consumerism, the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue requires that all sales tax items must be seperately enumerated as such on a receipt with the sales tax added on the bottom as an add on. You are not allowed to post or advertise or collect a price that says "$2.75 tax included" It must always be "$2.60 plus .15 tax"

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited February 08, 2004).]

Re: Sales tax 09 Feb 2004 16:04 #7432

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
No admissions tax in Ohio yet although there has been activity in that direction as everyone is looking for ways to plug budget deficits. Sales taxes are 6% statewide plus local tax which puts me at 8% in my county. Everything sold at our concession stand is taxable unless it is consumed off the premises. So no tax on takeout popcorn or candy sales but we don't track all individual sales.

Re: Sales tax 09 Feb 2004 17:20 #7433

• Tim Eiler
  • Fresh Boarder
The Land of 10,000 taxes (minnesota) has tax of 6.5% on boxoffice and the snackbar. We can have Sales tax included in our prices, and I do. If you are in one of a few cities around the state they have there own 1/2% tax which brings it to 7%

Re: Sales tax 11 Feb 2004 20:29 #7434

• crshedd
  • Senior Boarder
i'm happy to say that new hampshire is one of only two states (the other is alaska) that does not have sales or income taxes!

however, there is a prepared food tax of 8.25% (ie, food that is cooked for you).

--hey! i just hit the A-list!
'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high

[This message has been edited by crshedd (edited February 11, 2004).]
'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.265 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction