Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Need cinema equipment?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need cinema equipment?

Need cinema equipment? 09 Feb 2004 06:02 #7384

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
This text appeared in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and is self explanatory. You may not have to wait for the E-bay auction if you contact the woman directly at: 414-352-4130

Did I say that running a cinema these days is difficult? Her loss may be your gain.

"By Feb. 15, it's curtains for theater
By MARIE ROHDE
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Posted: Jan. 23, 2004

Fox Point - Even though Phyllis Spector spent more than $1 million expanding and upgrading the RiverPoint Cinema in 1998, the business just hasn't been able to compete with the larger chains in town.

"I had four screens and Marcus has 380 screens," Spector said. "If I were a film company, I'd deal with Marcus, too."

Last week, the Fox Point Village Board gave approval for the construction of an Outback Steakhouse, a Florida-based chain, on the property. Spector said she plans to keep the theater open until Feb. 15. She said she may have a buyer for seats and other fixtures, but if that deal falls through, she plans to auction everything on the Internet.

In 1996, Spector bought what was then the Brown Port Theatre. Two years later, she got permission to expand the theater to a four-screen operation and voluntarily added a sprinkler and fire alarm system.

The upgrades cost more than $1 million and drew praise from fire officials. The fire prevention portion was not required by state or village code but came on the heels of a fire that closed the North Shore Cinema in Mequon for several weeks.

RiverPoint also added digital sound and expanded the concession area.

"A lot of people have been asking me 'Why are you doing this?' " Spector said. "I've heard so many people say they love the smallness and the parking. I'm not going to bad-mouth Marcus or anyone else. We just couldn't compete."

From the Jan. 24, 2004 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel"
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need cinema equipment? 09 Feb 2004 14:37 #7385

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
What a shame. It's a very nice theatre. She dropped alot of $$$$ into the building. I saw many films there over the past 20 years. Looked like they were fairly busy on this past Saturday night, as I was at Borders for a Jazz concert.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction