Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The "R Pass"

The "R Pass" 27 Jan 2004 14:39 #7327

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Have you seen these? I saw it on TV so it must be true.....A chain is issuing a pass that parents get for their kids which they show and allows them to see R rated films w/o Mom and Dad. Would you do this? My feeling is I like banning some kids from the film. Even if parent says okay I am just uncomf with teen in the room.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The "R Pass" 27 Jan 2004 16:59 #7328

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
That goes directly against the rating code which uses the word ACCOMPANIED in the description of an R rating: Under 17 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Picture ID required. The most resent ratings posters that I recieved from NATO even gos so far as stating that an adult guardian must be 21 years of age.

They are undermining the very reason we have a rating system. If we don't police ourselves, the police will, through government regulation. We don't want that.

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited January 27, 2004).]

Re: The "R Pass" 27 Jan 2004 22:22 #7329

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Seems like that "chain" is just looking for more ticket revenue. What about the adult audience that is in the auditorium that has to put up with those pre-teens. Thats our biggest complaint about PG 13 films. There's always some smart ass making noise or throwing things disturbing others. Throw 'em out, and the parents bitch at ya that their kids are angels. Ya right!

Re: The "R Pass" 28 Jan 2004 12:18 #7330

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I'd be curious to know how big the chain is that is doing this. They must be big enough not to care such a thing nurtures other theatres' ability to enforce that rating -- and any 10 year-old with a scanner can forge dozens of these for their friends. One of the joys of an R rated film for me is not having to put up with the younger audience members who act up when the movie gets "uncomfortable." Would you wanna watch "Boys Don't Cry" with a group of 13 year-old boys? Tho we are not in the business of raising kids, there is an element of responsibility. The rating system provides us with tools we can use to orchestrate the tone of the audience. I have a group of hard-core high school cinephiles who attend almost every show -- tho some of them are only 15. They obviously have it together enough to know what they are seeing. I've told some senior citizens I would "rather not sell them a ticket" when I know something is too violent for them. The advantage of this is when they ask me if a show is good, the believe me.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: The "R Pass" 28 Jan 2004 14:10 #7331

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Dumb Idea:

The R rating and the rating system in general may have some flaws. Why Billy Elliot is rated the same as Kill Bill or Monster I'll never know. But if I were a parent I would appreciate an R rating as I would then take the responsibility to learn more about the film and decide for myself if I would allow my child to view it. Also I like films, so I would have no problem accompanying them to a film.

It's up to the parents to pay attention. All an R rating does is flag the film for the parents. They should then understand that no matter why the film got rated R, we theatres will not let their young-uns in without them. That is the only protection we have.

Once the film is rated R and the theatres enforce the rule, it's up to the Parents to raise their children well.

My next-door neighbor brought his 11-year-old and his 14-year-old to see Monster. I haven't asked him yet what they thought of the film. But they were their with their mom and dad, so who am I to interfere. I did warn them that it was a film about a man hating, lesbian, and serial killer.

Re: The "R Pass" 03 Feb 2004 02:37 #7332

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
We usually follow the MPAA recommended rules. The one exception is The Rocky Horror Picture Show every Saturday at midnight. Most weeks 80% or more of the audience is regulars who come week after week. We've had a few parents accompany their teen(s) once and then just drop them off and pick them up after that.

For Rocky Horror a manager is always in or near the box office. When we have new parents with their kid(s) come in, we make it a point to talk to the parents and make sure they know what they're in for. We especially want to be sure they're prepared for the incessent use of the F-word by the audience.

Nine out of ten times the parents will say, "Oh sure. I did this myself twenty-five years ago."

Only once in 4-1/2 years have we had a family walk out. In that case we suspected it was going to happen based on our talk before hand, but they insisted on buying tickets any way. And of course they also insisted on a refund. (I wanted to use the F-word, but I held my tongue and gave their money back.)

So, if we've previously talked to their parents and know it's OK, we'll let a kid in unaccompanied.

Alan G

[This message has been edited by Alan_G (edited February 03, 2004).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction