Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cold Conks My Crowd

Cold Conks My Crowd 10 Jan 2004 11:05 #7260

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As a second run theatre catering to families and the older audience, I am in trouble any time the temperature hits the single digits. That audience simply will not come out when it get real cold. I estimate my business on Friday evening was off by fifty (50%) percent.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited January 10, 2004).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cold Conks My Crowd 10 Jan 2004 16:02 #7261

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
muviebuf,

I also cater to that audience and I think they are also sensitive to the cold too. But fifty percent? Wow, that sounds like a bunch. I'm too new in the business to know if it affects me that much but I sure hope not. We get down to the single digits fairly often here!

"What a crazy business"

Re: Cold Conks My Crowd 10 Jan 2004 16:43 #7262

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Yes it did hurt business last night. It was about 5 degrees here, and we were playing "Under the Tuscan Sun" which certainly is an older crowd movie. I would say that we were off 20 to 30% last night due to the temperture. This afternoon it was 10 degrees when we opened the box office for the "Elf" matinee, now in its 4th week. We got 91 people, so I don't think the family business was hurt nearly so much.

Re: Cold Conks My Crowd 10 Jan 2004 18:58 #7263

• auggie
  • Fresh Boarder
Where are you cats from? Up here in Canada the cold means nothing. Sounds to me that you kids live in pussy town.LOL.

Re: Cold Conks My Crowd 14 Jan 2004 18:25 #7264

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
It's been 10 below zero for almost 1 week every am here in Maine. It does hurt biz. Tonight it's blowing like hell and having a net 40 below from the wind. If your car breaks down: you'll die!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Cold Conks My Crowd 16 Jan 2004 11:39 #7265

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Over the years I have found that it isn't the exact temperature that keeps people away but rather the public perception of the temperature. For instance, we currently have lows of 15 - 20 degrees. I know that this is actually quite reasonable for January in Ohio. I have spent many years in zero degrees or lower at this same time in January so I don't feel that it is unusually cold. However, people coming in are telling me how bitterly cold it is out there. I think that this is because the TV stations are focusing on the cold and constantly reporting on it. So people think that it is really cold out there. I was outside with my dog in a heavy sweater - no coat, no hat, no gloves. Not cold. Now, if the perceived cold stays around for a while everyone will get used to it and just go about their normally daily business. Snow storms are bad for business but if it keeps snowing and doesn't stop people will go out in it anyway because they are tired of being at home. So snow can be both bad and good for business depending upon how people perceive it. Even with this information it is still difficult to predict exactly what the public mindset about the weather will be on any given day.

Re: Cold Conks My Crowd 27 Jan 2004 13:40 #7266

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Cold? You call this cold? A week of 13 below zero? Ears falling off? Yeah-it's cold!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction