Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: common mistakes

common mistakes 26 Jan 2004 09:45 #7225

• Blue sky
  • Fresh Boarder
I am planning to reopen a 4 screen theatre in mid May. My question to all you veterans out there is this: what are the top 4-5 common operating mistakes that new owners make. Don't assume I know anything. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. I don't have a second chance to make a first impression. This is too big an investment not to succeed. Failure is not an option!! Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: common mistakes 26 Jan 2004 10:46 #7226

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Having any kind of projection/sound/presentation snafu on opening day is bad. People will get the idea that it will always be like that and never come back.

Re: common mistakes 26 Jan 2004 10:53 #7227

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Top 5 mistakes to avoid?

1. treat customers like their idiots-stupid-dumb-they're too young or old or too-too whatever, they don't matter much-will always come back-etc.

2. think to yourself that "it's good enough (projection-cleaning-service-etc.)

3. getting the wrong films for your audience

4. spending too much

5. forget about presentation

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: common mistakes 26 Jan 2004 11:46 #7228

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Bigest Mistakes (incomplete):
-Not having enough staff so you can be on the floor greeting new customers. You don't need to be working a post. You need to be there for the people and putting out fires.

-Ignoring anything that has to do with customer comfort. Whether it's the HVAC, or enough paper towels in the restrooms. Way better to go overboard with that then be seen as not caring about your adoring public.

-Make sure all employees are good with customer service. Yeah, you might have someone who is just a projectionist, but they need to know how to interface with the public. You don't need a worker saying, "I don'no. Ask as the counter." If they don't know, have them lead them to someone who does. Everyone dresses like they'll be serving food.

-Maintain a professional atmasphere. No family or friends hanging around. Make it look like you're there to do biz.

-Make sure your presentation is as good as it can be. You may not have DTS, but at least opt for the reverse scan. If you didn't get the masking up, use a sharp apeture plate. Make sure it is in focus. Spend some time in the booth looking at what is on the screen. Run HOURS of film thru a new projection set up before presenting to the public. All those trailers come in really handy for this.

And so on ....
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: common mistakes 26 Jan 2004 16:58 #7229

• Blue sky
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks to everyone for the advice!! Now I have another Q. Does anyone know of or have any good used seating for sale? I prefer somewhere in the Midwest if possible. thanks in advance. It's so nice to have this avenue for support!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction