Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby more info on sub run
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: more info on sub run

more info on sub run 13 Jan 2004 13:07 #7193

• macfan
  • Fresh Boarder
Let's say a movie comes out on 1/9/04 but you don't play it for 3 weeks (so you pay a smaller percentage) -- is that considered subrun?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: more info on sub run 13 Jan 2004 16:22 #7194

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Its really called 2nd run or moveover.Sub-run USUALLY refers to discount theatres.

Re: more info on sub run 13 Jan 2004 16:41 #7195

• macfan
  • Fresh Boarder
Can you still charge regular prices for a moveover or 2nd run?

Re: more info on sub run 13 Jan 2004 18:16 #7196

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Usually move-over(intermediate) runs are a bit lower than first run,but higher than discount-example:
1st run-$7.50
moveover-$5-6
subrun-$2.50-3

Re: more info on sub run 13 Jan 2004 23:37 #7197

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I guess it depends on what part of the country you're in.

Here in Pennsylvania first run is $5.00 and up... the top being about $8.00. Most first runs fall in between $6.50 and $7.50 though.

Moveover run is $2.50 to $5.00. Again most of the moveovers are charging $3.00 to $4.00.

Discount is $1.00 to $2.50. I don't think there are any theatres in Pa. charging less then $1.00. I'm not aware that there are even any $1.00 theatres left in this state.

Re: more info on sub run 14 Jan 2004 09:26 #7198

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Cinemark Millcreek Cinema 6 in Erie, PA
$1.00 most shows
$1.50 Fri/Sat after 6pm
$0.50 all day Tuesday

Re: more info on sub run 14 Jan 2004 13:21 #7199

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I am a single screen owner in a small town. I play move-over and a few first run titles. I charge $6 for general admission, $4.50 for kids 12 and under and seniors, and $4.50 for all matinee seats.

The $6 admission is $1 less than my closest multiplex (57 miles) and $1 more than my closest single screen competition (20 miles). I justify my higher prices than my "local" competition by offering a quality presentation in dts digital sound, a good, clean screen and a bright lamp, new wide comfortable seating with cupholders, and a friendly staff that is not afraid to control unruly, obnoxious, or disruptive patrons. I outgross the other local by an average of 30% according to my studio reps.

Highly anticipated first run movies for me are great the first week. My numbers are usually much higher than a move-over title and I sell alot more concessions, so it pays to have them sometimes. I am ecstatic that first week. The second week might end up a little better than average, but by the third week, I'm making less than I would by showing a move-over print and I'm usually hating the print by then.

A case in point: I finished up RETURN OF THE KING after 3 weeks and two days. I followed that with SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE for four days only. My bank deposit was more for four days of SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE than it was for the last nine days of ROTK. And now I have three days off and am not paying any employees or heating the building.

Re: more info on sub run 14 Jan 2004 14:41 #7200

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
And yet BurneyFalls isn't "Sub Run" because it's the first time the film has opened in her market. BurneyFalls is First Run.

Re: more info on sub run 14 Jan 2004 15:08 #7201

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you for making that point, Large. We are a first run also and are going to play Cold Mountain this week. Cold Mountain has already opened nationally and we will still be playing it on first run not subrun or moveover. It would be good to point out that moveover got its name because the prints are generally moved over from the first run theater in a market to the next theater down the food chain which is then a moveover theater although it will also be playing prints from distributors who will not recognize the moveover run and will make them wait until a national subrun release date. (Much later - think just before the video release date).

Re: more info on sub run 14 Jan 2004 16:51 #7202

• macfan
  • Fresh Boarder
Because its moveover, is it easier to get films from a booker or directly because you are not getting them first run?

Re: more info on sub run 14 Jan 2004 18:15 #7203

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Then, I like being "first run" and paying only 35% with only a four day commitment! I, too, am playing COLD MOUNTAIN this weekend, Friday through Monday.

Re: more info on sub run 14 Jan 2004 18:22 #7204

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Getting films easier if you are a booker or not has nothing to do with sub run or first run and everything to do with having a theatre that can play the product and pay the bills. If you are a lousy place witha bad rep you won't get new or old prints.

However: they made 6-7000 prints for LOTR. I assure you there are a lot of prints available for the sub run houses. "In America" has 300 prints in the USA: it's harder to get a print of In America than it is to get LOTR or Elf.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: more info on sub run 15 Jan 2004 16:45 #7205

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Elf should be real easy to get since my print sat around here from Christmas Eve until Thursday, January 8. Wow! more than 2 weeks. I wonder if I could charge storage fees?

Re: more info on sub run 16 Jan 2004 13:51 #7206

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
In my area of Central Pennsylvania New Line still refuses to make Elf available to the discount theatres. I guess they must be waiting for Easter.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited January 16, 2004).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction