Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: newbie wants to know and my response

newbie wants to know and my response 18 Dec 2003 13:28 #7160

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Hi Jack/ what you need to know is "how to run a movie theatre" so start by reading all, and I man ALL, of the forums http://www.bigscreenbiz.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=getdaily at bigscreenbiz.com. It's easy to get films. All you need is a movie theatre and the smarts to run it. Actually you can even not have the smarts but you must have a theatre: no problem. Once you have read up and educated yourself feel free to write again. Best/ Mike
Original Message

Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 5:16 PM
Subject: Movie Theater

Hello,

I was wondering if you would be able to assist me with something. I came across your website from a Google search. What I am looking for is information on how you are able to license or buy the rights to show box office movies. I live in a large town with Cineplex and Famous players already. I have a business plan to open a small one screen theater and I need this information. I have info on equipment and cost of running the theater except how to be able to show movies. Does your site have links to the proper place?

I am not sure if it makes a difference, I am from Canada

If you could help me, that would be great.

Thanks,

J.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: newbie wants to know and my response 18 Dec 2003 13:46 #7161

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
When I'm hit up with the same question I send folks to Bigscreenbiz and Film Tech, then tell them to ask specific questions that beg specific answers. Maybe it's my past as a teacher, but I get a little annoyed whne people think that we can provide knowledge by just pouring it into their heads. People seeking answers need to know what questions they are asking.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: newbie wants to know and my response 18 Dec 2003 19:05 #7162

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
RIGHT ON, AVALON <> Many of these newbies are looking for the instant gratification, no effort, ten sentence answer... ALL the info is catalogued in the archives here, and at Film-Tech, but it requires time and effort to find, read, and assimilate it... You can't condense a lifetime of knowledge and experience into a paragraph... A big part of an education is learning where to find the answers, THEN ask relevant questions...

Re: newbie wants to know and my response 19 Dec 2003 10:19 #7163

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
speaking as a newbie myself I couldn't agree more. The trouble is you want to know everything even what you don't know to ask..... it's been hectic for me but I'm learning piece by piece and most of the questions I've had I've been able to find the answers to in the archives.
"What a crazy business"

Re: newbie wants to know and my response 19 Dec 2003 15:17 #7164

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
There are many occupations for which there is no "Manual" or "Book of the trade" to consult, and in such, it is best to 'apprentice' as though there were a formal apprentice program by being hired as the Assistant Manager at a cinema. This is especially true of the movie industry where little is really written down and one best learns by doing, so would-be cinema owners/operators shold try to find, first, a chain cinema and become an Assistant there. Then try to find an independent cinema where the owner/operator will take you under his wing to learn all the ins and outs of such things as mortgages, taxes, booking, public relations and showmanship, and all the while READ ALL you can find on the industry and its history. Yes, this site is a good place to start, but nothing will prepare you as well as the on-hands experience, especially if you are in a metropolitan area with the crowds, competition and attitudes to learn to deal with. You say you are very sensitive and 'thin skined'? Then being an exhibitor who will be squeezed between the indifferent public and sometimes the equally indifferent studios and their distributors, means that you should probably look for another career. Movies and older theatres may be artistic, but modern exhibition has little artistry to it and instead a hard-nosed business sense is vital to succeed. Soooo, don't quit your day job just yet! Best Wishes. Jim
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: newbie wants to know and my response 23 Dec 2003 12:50 #7165

• Mike
  • Administrator
I agree that all the reading in the world will help but cannot replace hands on prac experience. If I was wanting to get into the biz I'd make sure I did 6 months in a city or busy plex as sort of a working education. But reading all the archives of Film-Tech and here is essential!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: newbie wants to know and my response 12 Jan 2004 15:55 #7166

• strickvhs
  • Fresh Boarder
Also a "newbie" in here. However, I'm looking for specific references and places of information that I SHOULD/NEED to be reading. Other web sites? Magazines? Etc.

I'm just beginning to formulate a business plan for a theatre in a small town, but outside of this web site & forum I've found information to be sparse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: newbie wants to know and my response 13 Jan 2004 15:56 #7167

• Mike
  • Administrator
"info" seems to be sparse? That's a understatement. This is an undocumented industry with no manuals. Before the internet: you were on your own. There was nowhere to call or anything to read. Magazines yes....but that was it.

Top steps for a Newbie to take:

If you are serious about starting a movie theatre and want to learn.

#1 Start by reading all the posts and archived posts here. Also hit www.film-tech.com for primarily theatre ops technical info but lots more also.

#2 Buy the last year of Box Office and Film Journal magazine: total cost 100.00

#3 Subscribe to Box Office, Film Journal, Variety, Entertainment Weekly, Premier. Total cost 250.00 year.

#4 Join NATO and your regional theatre owner orgs. Cost 200.00 +/-

#5 attend the full Show East and Show West and your regional show.

#6 make friends with a theatre owner not near where you want to build your theatre and go visit and see what you can learn.

If you're not willing to spend a couple thousand bucks and a few months to see if you want to spend a minimum of 1/4 million and transform your life then perhaps you should think of other options.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction