Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf

New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 19 Dec 2003 01:05 #7094

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Every so often a studio will get real funny about the subrun release of a given picture. The studio hopes by refusing subrun dates they may be able to keep it on screen in the first runs regardless of whether that will really happen or not. Such is what is going on in my area with Elf. The first runs in my area will have to let ELF go on Xmas because of other product. I figured that I could then pick it up starting on Xmas as there would be several prints available for moveover. NO WAY. New Line refuses to take any dates.

When I asked my local branch manager if it would have made any difference had I used a booker, his answer was an emphatic No.... that having a booker would not make a difference. In other words any second run theatre that is paying a booker is just throwing money away!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 19 Dec 2003 02:52 #7095

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I got it and played it from Nov. 28-Dec. 4th without a booker in Northern California without any hassles.

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 19 Dec 2003 04:16 #7096

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
He's talking about subrun, not move-over ... true discount

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 19 Dec 2003 10:13 #7097

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm playing it move-over starting X-mas day. I considered myself lucky to get a print for that weekend given the subject but was pleasantly suprised. I know it's been out for many weeks by now but I think it still has good legs and I think it'll do well in my neck of the woods.
"What a crazy business"

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 20 Dec 2003 02:16 #7098

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
Leeler you are in the midwest. It is a different situation there. As I have noted many times before on this forum the theatres in the northeast are always given a more difficult time then those in other parts of the country. I don't know why this is but I know that it is true.

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 20 Dec 2003 15:04 #7099

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike always preaches the gospel of "pay your bills within two weeks" and "be a good customer".

Well I have done business with New Line since its founding by Robert Shayne (Yes I am really that old!). I have always paid my bills promptly (usually within two weeks) I have always participated when there was a sales drive or the salesman needed a date on a cetain picture (to make his quota so he could win a weekend getaway to the Bahamas or wherever) and generally done everything that falls under the general rubric of being a good customer.

And does any of that matter when a studio gets a "bug up its ass" about a certain picture? The answer is a resounding NO. Despite years of being a good customer New Line told me to pound sand with regard to Elf for Christmas week. You would think New Line would want the picture on screen for Xmas week but not if the booking goes against their current marketing mojo.

The bottom line of all this: While not paying your bills on time and not being a good customer can hurt you, paying your bills on time and being a good customer doesn't necessarily help either. In other words when it comes to the distributors it is "Tales they win, Heads you lose"

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited December 20, 2003).]

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 23 Dec 2003 12:47 #7100

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
......however.........if they don't want to go sub run or discount because it's still playing well... in the end it is up to them. About paying: it's only as good as it is in regards to keeping you in good stead with them so that whatever the rules on a particular pic you don't set off alarm bells when you want something. I'm in the NE too and don't find a problem except when there's not enough prints on a ltd release.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 25 Dec 2003 13:23 #7101

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry to rain on the parade but I have bad news for those of you not getting the print of Elf this week. We have had it for 7 weeks. It kicked butt at Thanksgiving, ran fairly steadily through the slow weeks of early December and now has come back with a vengeance. It was our #1 movie Tuesday & Wednesday and missed Monday by a couple of bucks to Return of the King. Apparently it has more staying power than anyone expected. Better than Santa Clause 2 which we also kept for the full 7 weeks.

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 25 Dec 2003 18:55 #7102

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Funny, but the Mcmenamin's Olympic Club theater (brew pub discount theater) in Centralia, Wash. is playing ELF for $3 a head starting tomorrow.
Phone the theater at 360-736-1634 or visit www.mcmenamin.com

[This message has been edited by Ken Layton (edited December 26, 2003).]

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 26 Dec 2003 12:12 #7103

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Just what MovieBuff wanted to hear.......... but it does help to bring it up to the studio.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: New Line Plays Keepaway with Elf 26 Dec 2003 16:58 #7104

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
Part of the problem that I am now having is that Regal bought both the Hoyts and United Artists theatres in my area. When those plexs were owned by UA and Hoyts those chains didn't care about clearances (For those of you too young to understand that term ask Roxy). Regal is just the opposite. I guess when you are the biggest chain in the country you have more weight to throw around. And considering the crappy presentation that you get for the 8.00 ticket price at UA and Hoyts in my area I guess they need every advantage they can get.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction