Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Staff and Christmas
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Staff and Christmas

Staff and Christmas 03 Dec 2003 19:19 #6980

• Buzz
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm looking for new ideas on what to do for staff at christmas. Any ideas or things that you have done in the past would be great.

Thanks
Buzz
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Staff and Christmas 03 Dec 2003 21:52 #6981

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The first two years we were open we took the staff bowling for Christmas. We shut the theatre early on some Monday in December and have a party.

Last year we took them to a Roller Rink to go skating. We wanted to take them to Charles Shultz's Empire Ice Arena and go Ice Skating but they have the annual Snoopy on Ice show and you can't rent the rink.

This year some people wanted to do Karaoke. I'm generally opposed to that idea as I can't carry a tune. The problem was that most Karaoke is at bars and our staff is too young. So this year we are going back to the "Newly Remodeled" Roller Rink.

Every year between ShoWest, Show East and various NATO shows we receive a lot of promotional junk (schwag) from the studios. So we divide it amongst the staff and gift-wrap it. We also give them a gift card worth $50 from the local mall. This year we discovered that we had at least 24 different bags from various people. So all the 21 staff members will get a bag with at least 5-items in them. They range from t-shirts, hats, radios, totems, toys, games and even a bracelet or two.

Each of the staff members is assigned another staff member to be a Secret Santa. The idea is so that there is an additional gift for everybody. We tell them to keep it down around the $20 mark. A couple of years ago, I got a Scabbers the Rat from Harry Potter. Scabbers lives on top of my dresser.

It has been noted more than once that sometimes the staff gets more from us than they do from their families and nicer stuff too.

So: Party, Food, Skating, Night Off, Gift Bag, Secret Santa Gift and Gift Card. Not Bad!

Re: Staff and Christmas 03 Dec 2003 23:19 #6982

• Mill
  • Expert Boarder
We are very similar. We close at 9:00 on a Wednesday night, and start with Chinese Food for everyone, free arcade games, and sometimes we even hook-up playstation/X-Box on the big screen. Then we do a white elephant gift exchange (max $5 gift). All the goodies that have accumulated through-out the year ie. t-shirts, hats, etc.. are placed on a table and the staff are called up in order of length of time with the company to take their 1 pick. They also typically get a box of chocolates and maybe a coupon for a burger (depending on what we have traded for).
Since most kids have school the next day some take off and the rest stay for a movie. This year we are getting a hypnotist to come in and do a show for us. Usally staff are free guests are $5 to help cover food costs. This year because of the extra expense with the hypnotist staff wanted to pay $5 and guests $10.

Re: Staff and Christmas 04 Dec 2003 01:25 #6983

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Hmmmm, well we run one matinee show on the day of Christmas Eve. Hardly anyone shows up for that showtime. We are closed after that screening (usually by 3:30) and then our employees go home and enjoy the holiday with family and friends. Each employee receives a Christmas bonus ranging from 20-275 dollars (high end is for managers), and usually a gift certificate from McDonalds or Burger King. Then in January, I order in a few pizzas and we run one of my films from my private collection of oldies + cartoons. The employee may bring a guest to our "private screenin'" with all the fixins!!! They seem to enjoy it, heck they all show up for it every year!

Re: Staff and Christmas 04 Dec 2003 19:47 #6984

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
Each employee gets a gift bag from managment and a $20 gift card to a music/video store in town. We supply carne asada and do a barbecue in front of the theater, everybody brings a dessert or side dish, and we just hang out and play games and relax for the night. We are closing a little early on a Monday this year to do it, and everyone seems to enjoy it each year.

Our new thing this year is a raffle. Throughout the last 6 months the management gave out tickets to those going above and beyond the call of duty, and at the christmas party we draw from those tickets. Grand Prize is a trip for two to Disneyland, plus a TV and some other stuff.

Re: Staff and Christmas 06 Dec 2003 22:47 #6985

• sidedummy
  • Fresh Boarder
At me place everyone gets a $50 gift certificate to a mall nearby and we close early one day and bring in all kinds of food lasagna,chhesecake,pizza, chocolate and watch some old movies last year we saw scarface.

Re: Staff and Christmas 07 Dec 2003 00:15 #6986

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, when I had a theatre, the management staff got a week's pay at Xmas; the full-time hourly folks got 40 hours bonus; the part-time hourlies got 20 hours bonus.

And during the course of the year, the staff was always welcome to have after-hours screening for themselves and friends...as long as no extra expenses were incurred (that means they had to pay the projectionist, or persuade him to kick in for free, and provide their own food).

Hmmm...may by one of many reasons why I don't have a theatre any more!

Re: Staff and Christmas 07 Dec 2003 15:46 #6987

• Buzz
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for all the input. All of your ideas are great.

Merry Christmas and Thanks
Buzz

Re: Staff and Christmas 10 Dec 2003 16:30 #6988

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So you wanted to know what we do with our staff in regards to Christmas.

Our new manager Nathaniel Rubino finds out that we weren't kidding when we said roller skating. That's his wife leading him around.

Manager Casey Sandin is trying to duck a photo.

Your intrepid author "Large" on his own skates.

Staff getting ready to open gift bags.

Elizabeth Merrin and Todd Ethen. Yes they are a couple, a very scary couple.

Jill Ethan, Sierra Stinson sitting with Cayla Popavich, Vanessa Penn, Casey Sandin.

Ah, Christmas Dinner featuring the 4 basic food groups; Pizza, hot dogs, Nachos and soda pop.

The cool girls or would be if they didn't all work at a movie theatre.

Pat Bode who has become the staff mother. She held a little estregen party prior to ours.

Ky Rialto owner dancing on skates
with Vanessa.

Air Hockey was another popular choice. That's manager Sean Marshall.

Todd and Elizabeth enjoy a video game where the object seems to be to blow the heads off of people. I hope they aren't visualizing theatre owners.

All in all people seemed to have a good time. The employees of the skating rink were envious. They don't have a Christmas Party.

So, does anybody have any good ideas for next year?

Re: Staff and Christmas 12 Dec 2003 09:30 #6989

We always had a "pot luck" "dinner" on christmas eve. We gave away all the "goodies" and what ever we traded for.

Re: Staff and Christmas 15 Dec 2003 12:39 #6990

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Every year we have a big Christmas breakfast on Sat or Sunday morning. There's a gift from us. Plus a drawing we all bring a gift. We move from place to place each year and have done really nice B&B, etc. It's a fun way to do it and we don't have to shut the biz for all to attend. There are also bonuses for staff but that's private and done each to their own years and service.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction