Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby UPS - Shady characters
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: UPS - Shady characters

UPS - Shady characters 28 Nov 2003 16:32 #6969

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
We shipped a concessions terminal back to the company we bought it from for repairs via UPS. UPS decided to leave the package sitting on the front steps of a neighbors business, and now the terminal is nowhere to be found! They did not get a signature on delivery, and now they are telling us that they will only re-imburse us $100 even though the item in question lists at ~$1200!

They drop a package off at the wrong address, leave it outside on a some stairs, get no proof that it was delivered, and now are telling us 'too bad'! I will NEVER ship anything with this p.o.s. company again, and I mean NEVER!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: UPS - Shady characters 28 Nov 2003 20:26 #6970

• auggie
  • Fresh Boarder
Thats F#@KIN crazy. I will join you in your boycott.

Re: UPS - Shady characters 28 Nov 2003 23:40 #6971

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I ceased all shipping with UPS over a year ago and now use either Fedex or US mail.

Re: UPS - Shady characters 29 Nov 2003 01:03 #6972

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
My clients and myself use UPS a lot,with very few problems.Two clients even use them for ETS film shipping-cheaper and (so far) no miss-outs.US Mail sucks

Re: UPS - Shady characters 29 Nov 2003 09:55 #6973

• KingJoe
  • Senior Boarder
Perhaps we should examine what UPS is an acronym for....Use Purolator, Stupid!
A friend of mine's wife works for UPS as a phone rep. She gets more calls just like that than you could imagine. The only thing 'Brown'(also a street name for heroin, FYI) can do for me is make me RED!

The King

'The King is only as wise as his Jester'
'The King is only as wise as his Jester'

Re: UPS - Shady characters 29 Nov 2003 19:34 #6974

• auggie
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for keeping me in the loop KingJoe. I just called it downtown.

[This message has been edited by auggie (edited November 29, 2003).]

Re: UPS - Shady characters 12 Dec 2003 13:10 #6975

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
Well, the current news from UPS is that they have located the package and it should be delivered any day now. I'm not holding my breath, as they claim to have found it on Dec. 1 and as of Dec. 11 it has not been delivered yet! We'll see...

Re: UPS - Shady characters 13 Dec 2003 20:50 #6976

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Did you declare a $1,200 value on the package when you shipped it? If not, then the fact that UPS will only reimburse you for $100 if it is indeed lost is because you failed to properly declare a shipping value.

Any film (or other big ticket item) that we ship that isn't handled by Airborne/SkyCourier/Technicolor or ETS, is valued at its replacement value on all shipping documents and we usually use FedEx because its easier and quite reliable. For films we value them at $1,000 per can. Yes, it costs extra, but I don't want to have to pay out of my pocket if the carrier loses the shipment. We also never, ever sign the signature release place on FedEx forms for domestic shipments. I want to know who signed for a package.

Re: UPS - Shady characters 14 Dec 2003 01:51 #6977

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I hope UPS come through for you. I like UPS and hate FedEx, but that is another story. UPS leases their transfer site from me across the street from my theatre. They are occupying a section of my future multiplex.

Re: UPS - Shady characters 14 Dec 2003 10:45 #6978

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Rialto is right; one MUST declare a reasonable value to a package in order to get any refund of value or fee. It is a matter of Insurance, which is handled by an outside carrier: an insurance company. Like any insurance company, they sell their policy based upon a calculated degree of risk verses the possibility of paying for a specific loss. That is why you must always READ THE FINE PRINT on the forms you sign both when establishing an account (as with UPS) and each time you sign to send something. EVERY such courier has a written Insurance Against Loss policy; demand to get a copy before you send and then READ every irritating word, and abide by its limitations -- they will. A similar policy exists with the Postal Service. Many people are very irritated to find that when a package does not arrive, that the PO is limited to NO insurance at all if the item was not PAID to be insured before mailing! At that time, they will require that you declare a value for the package in order to pay to insure it, which they usually write under their postage label. BUT one must realize that regardless of how high a premium for the insurance one pays, and no matter how high a declared value one declares, one will NOT be paid one red cent beyond what the insurance carrier decides is appropriate under the circumstances (usually depreciated, fair market value), which is why they call it a 'Settelment' since you almost never get the full stated value of the premium you paid.

Can you PROVE what was in the package? Can you PROVE its monetary worth (no carrier will pay for sentimental, antique, or consequential damages or losses)? Can you PROVE that you mailed an item within the carrier's PACKING REGULATIONS for the type of item you sent? You didn't photograph the item being put into its container? You didn't get an appraisal of a valuable item so as to substantiate your declaration of value? Then do not be surprised that the insurer decides to deny your claim, especially if you did not keep the ENDORSED receipt for sending -- INSURED. (merely you signing their sending /insurance form may not stand up in court if things get that far, since their lawyer will claim that you obtained the form fraudulently since no official ENDORSEMENT or SIGNATURE of the carrier or its personnel appears on the form. Make sure they stamp or sign it too.)

Remember that insurance is a LEGAL matter, so don't expect any easy treatment where money and lawyers are involved. It is in the insurer's interests to devalue the item as much as possible and therefore to pay out as little as possible. Soooo, if your item is very valuable, you might do better to ask your personal insurance agent to write up a little one-time policy for something especially valuable, since he may be much more flexible as to prices and terms—but still read the fine print! Also be aware that if you declare anything as IRREPLACEABLE or of a value exceeding the carrier's stated limits/policies at the time, you should and will be denied service due to unacceptable risk for the carrier. With paper items or the like sent by mail, ALWAYS use REGISTERED if the item is truly irreplaceable, since that is the only service that is NOT handled by machines. It is a slower delivery service since each person handling the item must sign for it and they keep it in a vault if it must stay overnight at some postal facility. Still, if you did not insure it adequately for "Document Reconstruction Costs" you probably will not get anything but the postage back if you file a claim, which takes months to process! Of course, if an item is truly antique or irreplaceable, then no amount of compensation will bring it back -- something to consider whenever sending anything anywhere. You say it is the original stained glass windows from a long lost theatre? Then they are irreplaceable from an antiques point of view, and you would do best to carry it somewhere yourself! And don't bother to stamp anything sent by other mail services as "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend" since machines will handle it, and they cannot read; STURDY, RIGID packaging is your best friend in all cases. Best Wishes, you will need them! Jim

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited December 14, 2003).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: UPS - Shady characters 15 Dec 2003 12:27 #6979

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
We use UPS to trasfer films from one theatre to the next: no probems and one day always so far. In all the years I've used UPS they lost 1 package and I had not insured it for what it was worth so I lost out. Other than that I find it amazing the Fed Ex and UPSand the rest can do what they do. It beats the Pony Express.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction