Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: advice

advice 02 Dec 2003 15:17 #6918

• g.roper
  • Fresh Boarder
I AM INTERESTED IN REOPENIG A THEATER BUT IT IS ABOUT 8-10 MILES AWAY FROM A NEW MULTIPLEX. IS THIS TO CLOSE TO THE MULTIPLEX?THE THEATER I WANT TO REOPEN IS A 3 SCREEN AND THE MULTIPLEX IS A 12-16 SCREEN .WILL I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BOOKING THE BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW? ALSO WHERE CAN I FIND INFO ON WHY THIS THEATER CLOSED IT IS AN OLD GENERAL CINEMA BUILT IN 1968.I HAVE A BIZ PARTNER BUT CURRENTLY WE BOTH WORK FULL TIME JOBS AND BEFORE I GIVE UP MY JOB FOR SELFEMPLOYMENT I HAVE TO DO MY RESEARCH TO MAKE SURE THIS IS THE RIGHT DECISION FOR ME TO MAKE DO MOSTLY TO MY HEALTH BENIFITS WITH MY CURRENT JOB,AND FINANCIALY CAN ANY ONE SAY THAT THE MOVIE BIZ IS REALLY A PROFITABLE BIZ TO BE IN ,I LOVE EVERY THING ABOUT GOING TO THE THEATERS BUT OWNING ONE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I'VE GIVIN A LOT OF THOUGHT TO WHAT TYPE OF BIZ I WOULD LIKE TO OWN AND OUT OF ALL OF MY OPTIONS I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING ELSE THAT I WOULD ENJOY DOING OR BEING A PART OF MORE THAN THE MOVIE BIZ. SO IF ANY ONE OUT THE CAN HELP ME WITH ALL THESE BIG QUESTIONS I WOULD GRATELY APPRECIATE IT. THANKS FOR READING.........

[This message has been edited by g.roper (edited December 02, 2003).]

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: advice 02 Dec 2003 15:39 #6919

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
At first glance,I can't see why you can't play first run film if you are indeed 8-10 miles away from your nearest opposition.

As to why the theatre closed,GCC was in Chapter 11,and closed several less profitable theatres.Since then,AMC bought them out,closed some and remodeled others

Re: advice 02 Dec 2003 16:45 #6920

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
PLEASE DON'T SHOUT!

I'll read your posts when you bring down the volume a little bit.

Re: advice 03 Dec 2003 00:43 #6921

• KingJoe
  • Senior Boarder
Amen!

I read about half of the post, and stopped since all uppercase letters gives me a HEADACHE!

The King

'The King is only as wise as his Jester'

Re: advice 03 Dec 2003 02:51 #6922

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
There's probably a very good reason the theatre closed ... it wasn't making money.

Re: advice 03 Dec 2003 10:43 #6923

• RICK
  • Junior Boarder
give the guy a break. just because he used capital letters don't be so nasty. I did the first time on here too and felt like **** when I was rebuked. a polite don't use would work

Re: advice 03 Dec 2003 12:21 #6924

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
And it's good to remember that people new to the internet don't know about 'Netiquette.' To many of them, ALL CAPS is easier to read, though not for me. For these reasons, they don't know that some people regard CAPS as 'SHOUTING'. A simple request for lower case (small letters) would probably be enough for this guy, along with reminding him to read the FAQs Forum/Archive first. Face it G.Roper, opening a cinema is a gamble, and not the sure fire money maker they once were! Nowadays, people have MANY options for entertainment so you will have to open a classy place where you intend to sink some big bucks to make it different from the other multiplex. Is the other place already more of a cafeteria? Then maybe yours should follow the old movie palace paradigm and aim for an older audience more expecting classy standards than a tenn 'romper room.' If the other place has lots of bucks in decor and class, then maybe you will have to aim for the kids with glitzy decor, cafe style lobby, no usher patrols to disturb the love nests, etc. They won't care much what's on the screen, as long as the volume is LOUD and the lights dim and the seats soft (until they decide to slice them). Such are the joys of movegoing these days.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: advice 03 Dec 2003 13:50 #6925

• KingJoe
  • Senior Boarder
Sorry if I was harsh
. I just wanted to get the point across. The truth is if he were to send an email to a banker or an investor in all uppercase, it would not be read.

My take on things is that many places are not really overscreened, but that theaters close because they are not meeting with profitability targets. This theater may have made some money, but nothing that would make shareholders jump up and down.

I too am planning on reopening a theater, but mine is in a town where no other theater exists.

The best thing for you to do now is to read all of the old posts in every topic, it is worth the time(I know since I did it) and then ask as many questions as you can think up. There are plenty of super-intelligent people who have lots to say.

Once again, sorry
. I can take a smack on the wrist when I need it. Good Luck!

The King

Re: advice 03 Dec 2003 19:37 #6926

• g.roper
  • Fresh Boarder
I forgot to tell you guys that this theater is in the same parking lot of a major mall would that make a difference?

[This message has been edited by g.roper (edited December 03, 2003).]

Re: advice 05 Dec 2003 09:50 #6927

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, that could make a profound difference. The mall supposedly attracts lots of traffic, and that means people will see your outside displays or promotionals, even if it is only the marquee letters. Also, the parking lot provides the parking you need, so be sure of the mall's rules regarding your operation there; read all the fine print of any contract or agreement/lease you have with them. Will they allow you to put up a stand-up sign on the floor of thier mall somewhere to advertise your attractions? If so, by all means put up all such signs you can. Renting a display window in the mall might be even better, especially if you are somewhat artistic and know how to make a good, attention-grabbing display. Can you use moving lights, animated figures, large photos of stars-on-screen? Do you have the bucks to fully use such a vacant store front's window to install, say, a motorized curtain that will rise to reveal a revolving platform of display boards of the poster sheets the distributor sends you? Can you install small speakers above the window (out of reach of a six foot teenager) to broadcast some of the soundtrack/promotionals of the films? Can you install a small contest in the window to give away a few free passes, such as name this person/object in a photo? If the mall is cooperative, this could be a real-live money maker and a chance for you to have some fun designing new displays every few weeks. Best Wishes, Jim member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction