Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby new theatre clues?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new theatre clues?

new theatre clues? 30 Nov 2003 04:48 #6888

• ausmik180
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,
Maybe you can provide some help as to where I can obtain information regarding the establishment of a theatre complex. I will be brief:
I am an Australian expatriate living in Port Moresby, the capital city of Papua New Guinea.
In spite of being a third world country, the city has a population of around 180,000 people with a good proportion in the higher socio economic groups.
Moresby is the seat of the PNG federal and the National Capital District provincial government.
It is also temporary home to many thousands of expatriate workers (like myself) working in embassies, foreign owned businesses, mining companies etc etc. who like the locals have literally NOWHERE to go for movie entertainment.
There are NO movie houses anywhere in PNG!
People here are starved for entertainment
the only access to movies is by old (generally pirated) dvd's and (being an MBA with NO experience of this industry) I have been asked to investigate whether there is an opportunity to establish a viable cinema business here in PNG.
Any information (or reference information) you can provide regarding any facet of the industry will be greatly appreciated.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new theatre clues? 30 Nov 2003 08:36 #6889

• Roger
  • Senior Boarder
There is a history of two Port Moresby theatres at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~p.berrett/drivein/png.html . I don't know if that helps you, but it is quite interesting.

Re: new theatre clues? 30 Nov 2003 13:47 #6890

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
What an interesting read. Loved the part where the security staff used the old film vault at the back of the projection room to lock up people that had been caught jumping over the fence.

Re: new theatre clues? 01 Dec 2003 02:23 #6891

• ausmik180
  • Fresh Boarder
Very interesting about the old theatres, thanks. I have found land available in centre of POM and have also a choice in a high-rise also central and there will be others. Maybe someone can tell me where I can find data on profits per seat/theatre that sort of thing to further expand my research. Mike

Re: new theatre clues? 01 Dec 2003 20:10 #6892

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
The best place to start is by joing NATO and as part of that order or request their Big Fact Book of the year. After that you can talk with builders desginers, and you can start thinking about a professional consultant. You can also read everything that is here. I would say: if you have 180K you should have a theatre. How you get prints is beyond me. On the other hand how do you get a good bagel and the NY Times?
Best of luck. Mike

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: new theatre clues? 01 Dec 2003 21:03 #6893

• ausmik180
  • Fresh Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike:
<B>The best place to start is by joing NATO and as part of that order or request their Big Fact Book of the year. After that you can talk with builders desginers, and you can start thinking about a professional consultant. You can also read everything that is here. I would say: if you have 180K you should have a theatre. How you get prints is beyond me. On the other hand how do you get a good bagel and the NY Times?
Best of luck. Mike

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers! I will get right on to the NATO and start there. Movies as a business is a new experience for me but VERY interesting! About the bagel and NYT - well this IS the 3rd world we're lucky to get cornflakes!
Tks again. Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction