Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Film Rotation for 1 screens?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Film Rotation for 1 screens?

Film Rotation for 1 screens? 24 Nov 2003 21:08 #6875

I have plans for a one screen arthouse and was hoping to get some advice on film rotation. What have people found is the most viable: 2, 3, film rotation throughout the night? Switch films on a nightly basis? I'm anticipating 2 projectors, no platters. Showing indies, foreign, classic, cult, animation, etc. I'm thinking the best idea will be to have two films at a time, and show the one with the most legs at the prime time slots with the less profitable of the two at the matinee and/or possibly midnight show. Any suggestions for what has worked for people are much appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Film Rotation for 1 screens? 25 Nov 2003 12:47 #6876

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds similar to how the Kentucky Theatre in Lexington, Ky, operates.
You might try contacting them or another theatre like that.
I don't have info on how to contact them.
Maybe Larry Thomas can chime in here - he books for the Kentucky.

Tony

Re: Film Rotation for 1 screens? 25 Nov 2003 12:53 #6877

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Your contracts with the suppliers of your film will dictate what you are allowed to do. Generally film must run every day unless you have special permission. First run film will generally not permit you to mix film on the screen. Art/independent/classic/cult films are not necessarily available to you when you want them. Since there are so few prints available you may be far down the list when it comes to booking prints. Your profitability with the prints that you do get will determine how anxious they are to give you film in the future. You can generally get a copy of a film that no one wants to see very easily and program it as you wish. However, that is not going to help you stay in business. Your booker can help you determine what are the realistic possibilities are for your location and what the likely availability will be for you.

Re: Film Rotation for 1 screens? 29 Nov 2003 12:10 #6878

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Actually, the full-tilt repertory house, with a different film showing virtually every two hours, has gone way of the unicorn. The Kentucky Theatre in Lexington abandoned this policy about five years ago when the majors started gobbling up the primo art flicks, and of course, got real whiney about splitting shows.

Of course, you can still do this policy if you don't expect to play the big arthouse flicks (most of which are controlled by the major companies anyway). Just be sure you have a big bankroll, as you won't be able to pay your bills on ticket sales.

Re: Film Rotation for 1 screens? 29 Nov 2003 18:27 #6879

• auggie
  • Fresh Boarder
Why no platters?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction