Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting started in the business

Getting started in the business 13 Nov 2003 21:53 #6723

• ben
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,
My partner and I have been starting to examine the possibilty of opening an Independent "Art" theater in our city. Currently in our city of 60 - 70K people there is not even one screen of any type. Our desire is to open a theater to show independent films, foreign, classic, etc. Not first run major motion pictures.

The question is, can anyone suggest a book or books to help us in exploring the details of our quest? There are so many items such as what kind of projectors, screen type and sizes, room size, sound system, etc.

From reading here I understand more than one screen is essential, concessions are a must as well as making sure to utilze the facility in as many creative ways as possible. Film festival, special parties, etc.

I have some business background, have managed retail stores and groups of stores, have a Fine Arts background, iike to tinker with electronics and in my younger days have even spliced many a reel of film. As a Macintosh fanatic I even tinker with iMovie and have done some family projects than I could see leveraging into anniversary parties, etc.

So, I would greatly appreciate any pointers in how to find all the information, maybe checklists, room plans, books, etc.

The reading I have done here so far has been really enjoyable and hope I can contribute somthing to these forums at some point in time.

Thanks in advance

ben
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Getting started in the business 14 Nov 2003 09:29 #6724

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Ben - For more information on starting a theatre you can go to the Frequently Asked Questions of this Forum and look up starting a theatre. Here you will find all the questions that others have asked in the past on the subject. It's very helpful.

Welcome to the theatre exhibitor family!

Re: Getting started in the business 14 Nov 2003 13:22 #6725

• KingJoe
  • Senior Boarder
Hi there! I am also in the process of planning a theater for a small town. Welcome!

It's good to know I am not alone in the MacWorld!

Just one thought.....with that size of a population and no competition(?), why not try for first run product on two or three screens?

Many people here will tell you that it depends on your demographics, if there is a college or a well educated population. For my particular project, there is no university or college and a limited number of educated people, so a mainstream theather is for me.

There are plenty of super intelligent people here at this forum who will be able to give very good advice.

Good luck, and go for it!

The King

'The King is only as wise as his Jester'
'The King is only as wise as his Jester'
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction