Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby "tracking" info: where do you find it?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: "tracking" info: where do you find it?

"tracking" info: where do you find it? 05 Nov 2003 13:07 #6652

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
The film sales people always say "It's tracking at a ....." whatevber # and I never know what exactly that means other than a higher # is better than a lower #. Where do you get tracking info? Is it kept secret?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: "tracking" info: where do you find it? 05 Nov 2003 14:03 #6653

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
My booker provides me with this information. He gets a weekly report.

Re: "tracking" info: where do you find it? 05 Nov 2003 15:54 #6654

• Mike
  • Administrator
.............ah but where does he get it and how much is that doggie in the window?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: "tracking" info: where do you find it? 05 Nov 2003 21:59 #6655

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
I don't get a weekly report,but I can get the numbers from most of my distribution salespeople.The numbers are based on surveys asking about awareness,want-to -see,male vs female,age,ethnic background.

Re: "tracking" info: where do you find it? 06 Nov 2003 15:13 #6656

• Mike
  • Administrator
I know because they're always giving me those numbers verbally but they sure don't tout the other guys films so I'm still looking for a real source.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: "tracking" info: where do you find it? 07 Nov 2003 14:47 #6657

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
We are coming to the conclusion that those tracking numbers are overrated. First, they don't really seem to be accurate until just a day or two before the film opens which doesn't help us make a good booking decision or theater choice. Second, kids film apparently always tracks at low numbers so that you really can't tell the difference between Brother Bear and Treasure Planet. Since kids film is very important to us, tracking numbers are just not effective.

We did try making one booking decision on tracking numbers alone this fall. That didn't work out any better than the gut feeling decisions that we always make. Probably because we know our theater and its audience best.

Since our auditorium sizes are substantially different, we occasionally ask for guidance on whether we could get away with opening the film in the 88 seat theater instead of the 300 seaters, but tracking numbers don't help in time. We opened Holes in the 88 seater based on the best Monday advice and moved the film for the second show into one of the big houses on Friday. I would prefer to get it right the first time rather than doing an emergency switch with films running as we figure out how to do it.

As I have mentioned before I prefer the poster-o-meter for my gauge of public interest. You can tell when they start advertising heavily on TV in some cases. Other posters do not take any extra advertising to sell. The Shrek 2 poster hanging in my lobby takes about 5 seconds for a kid coming in the door to find it amongst the other 8 posters. The reaction is 100% positive. Shrek 2 is a no brainer for booking.

Re: "tracking" info: where do you find it? 08 Nov 2003 00:17 #6658

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Well this is exactly why I like the art film biz...we don't hear all that crap about tracking, which to me is a bunch of hocus pocus. Our tracking is how are the reviews and how did it open in the NY/LA markets. Real numbers like how many dollars per screen did it take in.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction