Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Elf

Elf 05 Nov 2003 11:34 #6644

• JoshG
  • Senior Boarder
For those that are booking Matrix Reloaded in favor of Elf, I suggest looking at the reviews for Matrix, very bad from both critics and fans, and then looking at the reviews for Elf, highly favorable. There are rumors that Elf could defeat Matrix at the box office this weekend. Just like the last Matrix, I dont think it will take long for negative word of mouth to affect the box office
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Elf 05 Nov 2003 13:04 #6645

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Two different auds and films. I loved the 1st Matrix and hope they close out #3 with a bang. We'll know later tonight. Elf looks great too. I've got them both.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Elf 07 Nov 2003 03:39 #6646

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Screened Elf tonight. I found it to be a total bore. Any family that could sit through this has my blessing. Very slow paced, cute cgi, boring storyline, Will is only sooo funny and his character gets old very quickly. Good video release. Just my two cents!

Re: Elf 07 Nov 2003 04:55 #6647

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Haven't seen the movie, but the clips look about as appealing as a root canal... By the time this is over, I suspect any grownups present will be ready to draw and quarter anyone connected with the theater which is showing it... Wear your bulletproof vest...

Re: Elf 07 Nov 2003 09:52 #6648

Here is what I pulled from Variety Mag. in regards to Matrix 3.

'Matrix' spins $43 mil global debut
U.S. tally is third largest Wednesday ever

By Don Groves, Dade Hayes

It wasn't exactly revolutionary, but it'll do.
Warner Bros.' groundbreaking gambit of releasing "The Matrix Revolutions" at the same moment in 96 countries reaped a total of $43.1 million in first-day receipts.

The U.S. tally of $24.3 million from 3,502 playdates was the third-biggest Wednesday ever, but it fell well short of the top single-day marks, not surprising for a pre-holiday November frame. It ranked No. 12 on the opening-day list.

Given its print count -- in the vicinity of 8,000 -- many B.O. watchers had expected the debut day to reach a slightly higher level as the morning and matinee grosses rolled in. Showtimes began at 6 a.m. on the West Coast, giving the pic extra playtime as well as a publicity hook.

Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. head of U.S. distribution, dismissed the notion that some viewers may be less enthusiastic about the franchise after "Reloaded," which scored poorly with critics and many fans.

This should help you make up your mind.

Re: Elf 07 Nov 2003 15:39 #6649

• JoshG
  • Senior Boarder
Silver- Yes it should help us make up our minds. On Tuesday there was a report that WB was hoping that Matrix Revolutions would make 200 million in its first five days, given that the second film opened so large and this opening is larger. Well, predictions are now that it will make about 96 million worldwide in five days. That's not only well below expectations but it's also well below what Reloaded did in that time frame.

Re: Elf 07 Nov 2003 15:41 #6650

• JoshG
  • Senior Boarder
And if you really think that Elf is not appealing to adults, I think you should see the film first. It has an 82% approval rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, 52 Good Reviews and 11 Bad Reviews. You telling us that only children are writing movie reviews?

Re: Elf 07 Nov 2003 19:38 #6651

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
By the time you have seen the trailer and the clips shown on the myriad of TV shows which are entertainment based, you HAVE seen the movie, or at least all the best of it... I generally agree with Roger Ebert's reviews (he gave ELF a so-so thumbs up), but if Rex Reed likes a picture (haven't seen his ELF review) I avoid it like the plague... If you dig deep enough, you will find a certain number of critics who like ANY picture: Sony was evidently writing good reviews for some of its own
pictures, just to balance things out... If a picture is a big enough hit I will play it even if it's something I would like to avoid (we have to cater to the public's taste)... But ELF looks to be absolutely insipid, and I believe that it could be double billed with DICKIE ROBERTS to create a punishment treatment, not unlike what was done in CLOCKWORK ORANGE...

[This message has been edited by outaframe (edited November 08, 2003).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction