Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Old Theatre Pictures
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old Theatre Pictures

Old Theatre Pictures 29 Oct 2003 09:12 #6581

• Hendrick
  • Fresh Boarder
I wanted to share these photos with the forum and get any kind of feedback from you all. I am sorry that some of the photos are kind of gritty but not much light in this old theatre. The roof apparently is bad and has caused some water damage to the theatre. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I hope this works.
http://hendrickqtx.tripod.com/theatre

Problem solved. http://liceummorskie.org/theater/index.html

[This message has been edited by Hendrick (edited October 29, 2003).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 29 Oct 2003 13:23 #6582

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Looks like very good potential from here... Very large for 9,000 population: eyeball guess 600 or more seats on main floor... You might want to consider respacing the back-to-back dimension wider for more comfort and legroom... Common practice when this was built was to get as many seats as possible in a given area... I would seriously consider shutting off access to the balcony: you don't need the extra seats and there are safety and nuisance concerns... However, the balcony might be used to make this into an over/under piggyback twin, either now or in the future... The mural walls are very handsome and suggest that this is a Western location... The projection equipment is incomplete: the film heads are Simplex E7's which at sometime had used type 2 B&L scope lenses (the brackets are still there)... The sound heads look familiar, but I'm not positive of the make and model... The bases are Simplex H.D. which are heavy and stable... All good quality older stuff that can be retrofitted with the latest innovations... Lamphouses are gone, but they were almost certainly carbon arc, which you would want to replace with xenon, anyway... I would suggest going thru the equipment and making any necessary repairs, adding good used xenon lamps and rectifiers, and using 6,000 ft reels to make a very dependable and up to date booth... The ceramic-on-steel panels on the front of the outside of the building suggest that work was done sometime in the late 1940's... The small lobby is not a problem: you would only need to fit a small, but efficient concession area to make it workable... The roof HAS to be leak and problem free: the last 25 years has seen a number of excellent products introduced for flat roofs, and all are expensive, but some are so long lived that they justify the cost... If you are planning to buy the building, budget enough to allow the best roof you can afford, it will pay in the long run... All in all, this has a lot of potential!...

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 29 Oct 2003 14:16 #6583

• Hendrick
  • Fresh Boarder
I am sorry for the inconvenience of the web page being down but it is being hosted on a free website and you know how that goes. If you can please keep trying it should come up.

[This message has been edited by Hendrick (edited October 29, 2003).]

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 29 Oct 2003 21:16 #6584

• Roger
  • Senior Boarder
Submit the photos to CinemaTour.com so we can all see them at any time!

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 29 Oct 2003 23:41 #6585

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hendrick,

I'm impressed. I like that theatre. It's just the type that would make me want to dig in and restore and promote into a successful venture. It would have to be, without saying, a hands on affair. It needs constant TLC, and firsthand management.

I love that upright sign. That sign and the marquee completely relit would be the bright spot of the community. Inside seems to need only cleaning, some painting, and a curtain in front of the screen to present shows in a true showmanship manner.

With 830 seats it is a tad bit large for this day and age. I would agree with outaframe that the balcony could either be closed off or possible become a 2nd theatre.

The projector head that I saw was a Century, but couldn't tell which model.

How long did you say this theatre has been closed? It looks pretty good to me. It certainly looks like something to give a great deal more thought to. I wouldn't cast it off just because of its size. Do a lot of research on the community and find out what business is like there for other types of business'. Do people stay there or run off to another town to shop and play?

Good luck.

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 30 Oct 2003 00:27 #6586

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
These pictures are much better, and more complete than the first ones you posted... Now that I can see better, ROXY is right, the film heads ARE Centurys, and they also are good stuff... What appeared to be ceramic-on-steel panels on the front of the building are actually tile, which is even better in a warm climate... The marquee is now visable, and looks to be in generally good condition... In fact, everything looks better in your later pictures... It appears there is also a nice apartment in the theater, which makes it more appealing... Tell ya what: if I didn't already have one, I'd sure be interested in this, myself... ROXY & I seem to see a lot of things along the same perspective, and this is no exception... I'd say you have found a real jewel with all kinds of potential!...

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 30 Oct 2003 00:46 #6587

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Wow! You've got a real gem of a theater there.

I see Century model "C" projectors on top of Motiograph model SH-7500 soundheads. It looks like a Motiograph tube type (mono) sound system on the wall and an RCA theater loudspeaker behind the screen. Looks like it would be fairly easy to get this projection booth operational again.

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 30 Oct 2003 07:56 #6588

• Hendrick
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you everyone for the positive remarks I am serious considering the investment. The building does need a new roof and general TLC but the venture would be worth it. Since I am new to all this could you all provide me more information on the equipment? Also is the screen usable, I have never been that close to one and never noticed the holes. I was told the about 10 to 12 years ago a couple tried reopening it but after a year it just didn't make it. That part is a little scary. After that the building was purchased it was used as a party house by someone that never had intentions to reopen it, it was just a place for him and his buddies to have a good time. Enjoy the pictures I don't know how long my buddy is going to host them for me and please send any feedback. I appreciate all the help.

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 30 Oct 2003 08:30 #6589

Aside from whether it would be feasible to open it as a movie house again, I've got to tell you I think it's a real charmer. I love that western motif! The theatre certainly has class.

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 30 Oct 2003 18:31 #6590

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder

OK, your pictures are a dead giveaway that this theater is located in Texas: I wouldn't give any more specific information here because this board is open to public scrutiny, and someone may want to take your location away from you... You found this, and you should be the one to benefit from your effort...

The Equipment: I wouldn't be too concerned about that element right now... What's already there looks usable, and probably is fine, but if not, there is plenty of good used stuff around to replace it with... Most of the sound equipment appears obsolete, and you can expect to spend some bucks to bring it up to current standards... There is a ready market for the old stuff amoung collectors, so don't throw anything away, it can help pay for the updates...

The Screen: The holes you refer to are perforations which all sound screens have, and are necessary to allow the sound from the speakers (behind it) to pass through with a minimum of loss and coloration... The screen appears to have some stains, and will probably require cleaning and/or recoating... If the screen is otherwise in good condition, this probably can be done, depending on what type material the screen is made of... Again, this is a somewhat premature concern at this point, but something to keep in mind, as a screen of this size will cost several thousand dollars to replace...

The Location: Texas is a huge state which has areas that range from sparsely populated to extremely metropolitan... It also has a climate range from hot and arid to four seasons with cold winters... You say the "area" population is 9,000... Are you including the population within a 15-20 mile radius, or just the town and housing areas nearby... You should consider the demographics of a 15-20 mile radius (or maybe even more in a sparsely populated area), the age ranges of the population, incomes, how well supported other businesses in the area are, and the town's importance as a business "hub" to the area...

The Failure of the Previous Attempt to re-open the Theater: Yes, this is sobering, but they may or may not have had the financial reserves necessary to do it right, the small business know how, the technical skill, or any number of other variables to make a go of it... Or the situation may not be viable... This is your most important concern, based on all the information you can amass, your particular situation, and how willing you are to take the gamble... For most people, this is a BIG step!... Having an idea of what to expect will certainly make the decision easier...

Re: Old Theatre Pictures 31 Oct 2003 00:57 #6591

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I also agree that you don't want to say anything more about the location of the theatre, but don't be too concerned as there were many theatres with the name TEXAS in the state of Texas. In 1950 there were 39 communities in Texas with a TEXAS theatre. There were (and possibly still are) several TEXAS theatres in other western states as well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction