Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Spook Up For Halloween
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spook Up For Halloween

Spook Up For Halloween 09 Oct 2003 11:55 #6492

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Are any of you planning anything special for Halloween? I hear that many theatres have a festival of horror and show some of the classic horror pics with late shows. What have you done in the past and what are you planning for this year?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 11 Oct 2003 22:16 #6493

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
My largest art house is showing the following:
10/17-18 - NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) - midnites
10/24-25 - EVIL DEAD 2 - midnites
10/30 - THE UNKNOWN (Lon Chaney silent) + THE HAUNTED HOUSE (Buster Keaton silent short) both with live organ score - Thursday one show only

10/31 - 28 DAYS LATER - midnite

11/1 - ROCKY HORROR - midnite (moved to Saturday to avoid conflict with all the parties, etc).

Also have a drive-in doing a dusk-to-dawn on Sat. 11/1 with...
SCARY MOVIE 3
EVIL DEAD 2
FRIDAY THE 13th 3D
SLEEPY HOLLOW
WRONG TURN
(serving tomato juice and some sort of "body parts" snack when the fifth flick hits the screen).

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 15 Oct 2003 17:14 #6494

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
We are running "13 Ghosts" late night on Friday/Saturday.

Larry, how are you going to show "Friday the 13th 3d" on a drive in screen. It won't be bright enough to project it using the glasses.

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 15 Oct 2003 17:33 #6495

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
My guy swears he has enough light in his bulb to "burn down the screen" if he has to.

Both of my DI accounts ran a 3D anaglyph print of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON in the summer, and pic quality was just fine, according to the owners.

Are you running the original 13 GHOSTS (1960), or the remake?

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 16 Oct 2003 07:49 #6496

Which distributor has Friday the 13th 3d?
My booker couldn't find me a copy.

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 16 Oct 2003 08:09 #6497

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
The person in your Paramount office who handles the repertory bookings should be able to take care of this for you. They had one 3D print (Stereovision) in the Pittsburgh depot, which I brought over for my DI run. He inspected the print and confirmed that it is the "stacked" Stereovision version.

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 16 Oct 2003 10:51 #6498

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I am planning on getting TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE on Halloween day for a week and play a midnight show Friday night, but I won't actually know if I get a print until the 27th.

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 16 Oct 2003 11:16 #6499

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We are running "Addams Family" continuously all day next Saturday, the 25th, during a town festival being held on Main Street in front of the theatre.

Tony

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 16 Oct 2003 15:24 #6500

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Here's an idea I have had bouncing around in the back of my head for years, but never followed thru with because there has always been something "new" to play for Halloween... The original make of "The Haunting" (1962 or 63, Julie Harris, Claire Bloom) is the most terrifying movie I have ever seen... There is nothing actually shown, but it draws you in psychologically to the point that it is bone chilling, AND it so well done that it is believable... I have often thought of booking a 7 day playdate (including Halloween), with LOTS of local hoopla centered around a drawing for a single individual ("victim") who would watch a special midnight showing ALONE in my darkened theater (on an "off" night, early in the week) and would receive a reward IF they could watch the entire movie without running away... Yes, this is a corny and old fashioned promotion idea, but it is also a "natural" for Halloween, and I know it would result in "landoffice" business... You could promote it to the hilt, because the movie delivers as promised, and is THAT good... I don't know if a print is still available, but when the right situation comes along, I intend to find out!... IF you want something to promote, and set your theater apart from the rest, feel free to borrow the idea...

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 16 Oct 2003 17:36 #6501

• unastrike
  • Fresh Boarder
I've often wondered how other markets fared with themed/holiday showings. One of the two theatres in town here (both are Marcus) have made attempts, at least, but seem to have stopped trying over the past couple years.

How do you guys do? How costly is it to get a hold of older prints like Evil Dead 2 for only a weeks worth (if even) of showings?

Re: Spook Up For Halloween 18 Oct 2003 02:28 #6502

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Larry- We are running the remake of 13 Ghosts. I think that it will do better business than William Castles 60s version. Hopefully, the kids will show up for it. As for screening "Friday the 13th 3d" on a drive in screen, its not going to work. This film uses polarized glasses, and the screen won't reflect the light. I remember an outdoor around here running Andy Warhols Frankerstein 3d, and it didn't pan out. They ended up having to run an ad in the paper stating it wouldn't be shown in 3d. Creature from the Black Lagoon would be know problem, just as Spy Kids 3d ran at a bunch of drive ins with good results.

unastrike- some of our halloween shows have bombed in the past, and some do fairly well. enough to pay film rental/shipping costs. i do remember having "friday the 13th" (original) booked, only to get a call the day before halloween telling us oops...its not available and "part 5" was shipped in its place. That was not a very good night, we lost alot of business. part 5 sux.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction