Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Percentage of Seats Sold
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Percentage of Seats Sold

Percentage of Seats Sold 13 Oct 2003 13:53 #6479

• lemonice1
  • Junior Boarder
Just curious what your percentage of seats sold is? 25%? 35%? Also, is it generally higher for first run, second run, art house, etc?

Thanks again,
Brandon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Percentage of Seats Sold 13 Oct 2003 16:16 #6480

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I run just about 18%, but then I'm a subrun single screen with 557 seats which is rather large in this day and age. I don't know if there is an industry wide figure and if there is, would it mean anything. There are too many variables. It all depends on the product played, the size of the house, the run, the location and what you are comparing... apples to apples or apples to oranges?

It has always been my experience in my neck of the woods that subrun outsells tickets over first run. Of course first run grosses much more and runs pictures much longer. But if you take a first run with an average ticket price of $6.25 that grosses $8,000 the first week from 1,280 admissions, that same picture might very well gross $3,500 at my theatre 8 weeks later at an average ticket price of $2.50 meaning that I sold 1,400 tickets my first week, or 120 more then the first run did it's first week.

I also find it interesting how often I see posts here and at other theatre sites where multiplex managers state that they only had 30 or 40 patrons on any given weeknight for their entire complex. Sometimes they get no one. I usually average between 50 to 100 people on a week night for just one screen. A really slow night would be 20 to 25 for me. I have never had a night when no one showed up.

Therefore , based on my own experience, at least at my theatre it seems that subrun draws more. This certainly may not be the case nationwide.

Re: Percentage of Seats Sold 14 Oct 2003 14:29 #6481

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
ROXY is doing a very good job with his location, and my experiences in a quite similar situation support his numbers... I usually have a "no show" once or twice a year, but it's almost always weather related... Weekday nights in the 20 to 40 ticket range are not uncommon, but occasional weekend sellouts balance out the averages... 18% is a very good figure these days, and 25% would be a phenomenon that few theaters can maintain consistantly... If 25% capacity were the norm, this would be a much healthier business, but emphasis is more on $ amounts, than on keeping the seats warm, unfortunately...

Re: Percentage of Seats Sold 14 Oct 2003 19:09 #6482

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
12% here. I get a few movies opening weekend, but most 3-5 weeks out; 95% of them are mainstream.
I was at 18% when I had 65 more seats than I do now, but I was only open 3-4 days a week, every week. So that was 18% on prime movie going nights.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited October 15, 2003).]

Re: Percentage of Seats Sold 15 Oct 2003 08:23 #6483

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
On a yearly basis in our 3 screen we hit over 30% on a total seats vs. daily tiks . But then again: do you add up all the seats for every show for a year and then divide by the tiks sold for the year? I knew there was a hitch!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Percentage of Seats Sold 15 Oct 2003 11:06 #6484

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Yep, there's always a hitch... Total seats in theater X showings per year = total capacity... Divide tickets sold by total capacity = % sold... IF you can sell 30% of this, take a well-deserved bow!... You are a Dinosaur Showman from the Golden Age... Actually, small theaters which are open weekends only, probably can match or exceed the 30%, but larger theaters which run more showings will be hard pressed, even though they sell more tickets... Like all number crunching, it's HOW you do it... Just for the fun of it, I dug back in the dusties to 1970... I had 140 more seats then, and sold 22.8% with an mean ticket price of $1.09... And film rentals, utilities, insurance, taxes, payroll, shipping, etc., etc., etc., were considerably cheaper than nowadays... Also no HBO, direct TV or video rentals to contend with... You could afford to promote, and could see the results: those were good times, and keeping the seats warm was the key to making a buck in the Biz...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction