Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2000 Gross

2000 Gross 26 Jun 2000 18:50 #501

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Just for the record this weekend's take was down 24% from last year which leaves the summer season down 5.6% behind last year while overall 2000 is up 4.8%. ACNielsen EDI says "It would be a struggle to catch up now." CNN analyst agrees but adds "Who would have thought Sixth Sense would do 200 million." The part that bothers me is that a rising tide lifts all boats and a good season for the big guys means a good year for the smaller theatres also. The last years have been so consistently good that it's a little odd to deal with flat performance.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 2000 Gross 28 Jun 2000 08:06 #502

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
You are 100% correct. It is really hard to deal with the current slump. This will be the first year in the last 5 that we have gone down in our yearly grosses. Do you see it changing? It doesn't look to me like we are going to have a Sixth Sense this year. Sure could use one that would make September/October good. I can't remember the last really big sleeper that hit in the fall.
The last one that really surprised me was "Look Who's Talking", and that's a really long time ago.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: 2000 Gross 28 Jun 2000 20:15 #503

• Mike
  • Administrator
There is always cycles and we seem to be slumping in both quality and interest. Is there a misjudging the audience when Me, Myself, and Irene misfires? Fox apologized to me for getting it wrong with the R even while they try to claim "highest weekend gross for an original r rated comedy" which made me feel like "longest break dance by a midget wearing a Santa suit" record may be in the offing. Sometimes there seems to be too much of everything! TV, Radio, internet (though the net movie sites are off 30% from last year!) just take up time. I always take comfort that the creative types are out there working hard and will astonish us.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 2000 Gross 18 Jul 2000 09:54 #504

• Mike
  • Administrator
We are now having our best July ever. Hard to believe. Storm really pulled it up! And that has made us up for the year over last also. But I think they're preparing us for a hard fall; double entendre' with few exciting pics between now and ThanksG.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction