Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Working Holidays/4th of July

Working Holidays/4th of July 04 Jul 2000 22:11 #496

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As I sit here on the 4th of July, bemoaning my very existance and wishing I was at a fireworks display with a jumpy girl who would cling to me after each explosion...

Whoops, get back to the subject.

I have always worked for large chains in competative markets. We only cancled one show each year. We don't run the last show on Christmas Eve.

Mike, you own a small theatre in a non-competative market. What days or shows do you cancle, if any?

I was thinking of no last show on July 4th, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve.

I also think it would be cool if we could leave the theatre dark for one day around the holidays. Perhaps a Monday in early December.

What are your thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Working Holidays/4th of July 04 Jul 2000 22:20 #497

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
On another related subject. Does anyone pay his or her staff time and a half for holidays? I want to, but I haven't run the numbers yet or decided which holidays. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

I worked all those holidays as a staff member and groused that management didn't pay extra. Now I'm the guy and I am still wrestling the same question.

Two members of my staff didn't show up this evening. But because the attendance declined, they weren't really missed.

Re: Working Holidays/4th of July 05 Jul 2000 00:28 #498

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Allow me to give my remarks even though the question was directed at Mike.

As an independent, and in the position to do whatever I feel like doing...this is what I do:

Dec. 24th - I run a matinee only...no shows on Christmas eve.

Dec. 25th - No matinee...run evening shows only! (I figure Christmas is over by 5 PM)

Dec. 31st - Last show is at 7 PM.

Easter Suday - No matinee (I used to, but hardy no one came!)

After the Thanksgiving weekend, I only run weekends - Fri-Sat-Sun until Christmas. there is no business during that period anyway...so I take that as my vacation.

AS TO HOLIDAY PAY: I pay straight time at all times. When I interview people for a job, I point out that we are a nighttime, weekend, and holiday business and they must accept that before taking the job. They are told that they will be required to work most holidays and at regular pay.

One time I had one not show up on Christmas day...did we miss her? YES...from then on!

Re: Working Holidays/4th of July 05 Jul 2000 00:37 #499

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
The 4th of July!

Total Attendance = 388

Attendance After Dark = 41

Re: Working Holidays/4th of July 18 Jul 2000 09:49 #500

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
How'd I miss this! It was slack for the same reasons here on the 4th. Big fireowrks two blocks away but it rained so we did some business.

We do a matinee on Christmas eve because we show a FREE Holiday Matinee series for 5 weeks before Xmas day and we show it on the matinee schedule for the 24th. We are 100% closed on the 25th. What can I say? I think the world can live without movies for one day.

Other than that: we go. No time and a half for holidays; most people seem to actually like working those days. Even Thanksgiving is festive.

I think closing for a day or whenever you feel like is fine; just let the customers know and be prepared for those who wouldn't read it if it was on a billboard on the lawn next door to their house.

I used to own a restaurant and we'd close for two weeks in the winter. Boy; it felt great!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction