Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Outbidding?

Outbidding? 02 Sep 2014 09:34 #41358

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
While participating in a video store discussion group (I have owned as many as 5 video stores over 20 years) a friend of mine said a theater friend told him the following:

"before they didn't have access to the prints because most of them were coming out but then after they spent the money to go digital they were being outbid in the area by other theaters"

Outbid? Is this a way the operator is saying they do not have the prior performance to be able to play what they want? basically looking for sympathy?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Outbidding? 02 Sep 2014 20:27 #41366

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Bidding was a common practice till mid late 70 s. used mostly in competitive zones .
Lets say there were 3 screens on the same street ,all different operators , you would send in a sealed bid on a guaranteed gross and % , I believe also a length of run ,the studio would then take the highest bidder .
This has not been used in years . There are states that guarantees are illegal now also .
Last Edit: 02 Sep 2014 20:29 by slapintheface.
The following user(s) said Thank You: heartofglass

Outbidding? 11 Sep 2014 17:06 #41391

Slapintheface, I may be experiencing something like this with a couple arthouse distributors, perhaps because it's a small town. I'd appreciate insights into theatres having exclusive first rights with distributors but not actually showing their films anymore. My thread on the subject is at:

www.bigscreenbiz.com/forums/502-movie-th.../topic.html?id=39368

And Rufusjack, I also own a video store! Where is this video store discussion group? Is it open?
Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014 17:09 by heartofglass.

Outbidding? 11 Sep 2014 18:06 #41393

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
The following user(s) said Thank You: heartofglass
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction