Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Booking American Films in Colombian Theatre
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Booking American Films in Colombian Theatre

Booking American Films in Colombian Theatre 22 Jul 2014 16:45 #41214

Hello, I am in the beginning stages of opening up a theatre in a mid-sized town in Colombia (about 60,000) that is currently without a theatre. There are many things to be considered along the process but am wondering how do film bookings work when it pertains to an international screening? Do studios typically charge a different fee for foreign releases? Do I need to talk to international distributors? Costs operate on a very different scale down here (I wouldn't be able to get away with charging more than $5/ticket)so I'm wondering if studios would take note of that. Also does anyone know if it is different rates for films dubbed in Spanish or have Spanish subtitles? Since we will be operating a single screen theatre, I was planning on being my own booking agent, though have been suggested to hire someone for the first year or so to establish connections. We would be showing a mixture of Spanish-language films as well as second-run release of more popular American films that we feel would do well down there.

Again, I'm at the very beginning stages of planning this, and realize plenty has to happen, but cannot seem to find any info online regarding this. If you have any answers or could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Booking American Films in Colombian Theatre 23 Jul 2014 10:24 #41225

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
My suggestion is to hire a consultant to help you. They or you will Start in LA or NY to find out the questions you are asking. A key part of running a theatre is getting the movies. :) Best/ Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Last Edit: 23 Jul 2014 10:25 by Mike.

Booking American Films in Colombian Theatre 23 Jul 2014 10:32 #41227

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I have been asked several times to book out of the country mostly the carribian
And I always say no .. You must find someone that specializes in that ..

Booking American Films in Colombian Theatre 23 Jul 2014 12:11 #41228

Hey guys, thanks for getting back to me. Slap, why is it that you always say no to these foreign releases? I've been looking into this for some time and have been perusing forums on this site back to 2005 so I feel as though I've got an understanding of how film booking works in the states, just curious what is different exactly when it comes to foreign releases.

Most theatres in South America only show films that are popular within North America, so I don't imagine getting rights to play Colombian, Brazilian, Peruvian, or even Argentinian would be too difficult as it seems most multiplexes in the area won't play them. There's plenty of great films down here and South America is going through a renaissance of sorts. My partner and I are filmmakers ourselves and know and understand the process of creating and submitting a film, and will soon hopefully understand the booking/releasing side of things. Eventually, we'd like to turn our company into a distributor as well since that's what's greatly lacking down here. The majority of South American films are made in partnership with European companies and really only see the light of day at European film fests.

So I am fairly confident in us being able to show films from the region, but am looking for more info on if I wanted to play say "The Lego Movie" with either a Spanish dub or subtitles. Does every major studio have region representatives that I would need to contact for this or is distribution handled by a different company entirely?

Mike, where would I find the consultants to talk to about this? Could I contact anyone in the Film Booking Agents section of the classifieds or should I look elsewhere?

Booking American Films in Colombian Theatre 23 Jul 2014 13:34 #41231

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
1. hire a film booker as a consultant to at least find out what you need to know
2. its not complicated but you need someone who can track it down and they need to know the industry.
3. I always say: find someone in the business at least 50 miles from where you want to start your business and take them to dinner, buy them flowers, etc. etc. and you will learn a lot
4. yes there will probably be offices in colombia / hard to believe there will not be

Overall... I like # 3 the best.... find a theatre like the one you want to have and go talk to them: all will be revealed. :) Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction