Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie help

Newbie help 10 May 2014 09:45 #40899

• iggyoddy
  • Fresh Boarder
I am planning to open a new and used audio equipment store in Louisville. I'd like to maximize the space and turn it into a screening room in the evenings. I want to encourage film discussions, have guest speakers and special events. All 3 locations I'm looking at renting are located in heavy restaurant corridors. I want people to be able to eat, drink and watch film. Since I know nothing about the restaurant industry (nor do I want to get involved), I'm going to allow patrons to bring in dinners and possibly negotiate a kickback from neighboring restaurants. I already have liquor license issues figured out. I want to function primarily as a revival house and maybe eventually work my way up to screening some smaller first run indies. My questions:
1. I want to start small to see if this will fly. I've contacted a couple of licensing companies but you can't just show what you want - you're limited to what they offer. For example, when Scream Factory releases an 80s horror film, I'd like to do a screening and have a prize. Can't do that with these companies as they deal mostly with mainstream fare. Should I bite the bullet and lease a digital projector? If so, what are the better leasing deals available?
2. If I go the digital route, do I need a booker? (There is a locally owned theater with 8 screens near where I'm looking to do this and I can't compete with them. I just want to do something different and maximize my space).
Last Edit: 10 May 2014 09:47 by iggyoddy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie help 10 May 2014 17:47 #40902

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You have a lot to learn, but you can do it. Just realize that this is serious business and not a little hobby. You can lose a lot of money really fast. I once came across the blog of a couple who started the Moxie Theater in Springfield. They started out with a concept and not a lot of inside knowledge, but they worked smart and figured it out. They ran an excellent business, which is still running successfully today even thought they no longer own it.

He left the archives of his blog up for people to read. I think it's a valuable read.
moxie.danchilton.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: iggyoddy

Newbie help 15 May 2014 11:07 #40930

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
your proposed idea seems real enough that you should go with a booker... he/she will help you figure it all out. Kickbacks from restaurants? seems pretty tough work to collect. Wny not just have a deal with "order out" orders and .... oh forget it... sounds like a hot mess to me. Drinks are good. All you need is a good video projector and a DVD/ BluRay .... unles you are ready to pop 40-5-K for digital.....
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Newbie help 23 May 2014 05:10 #40940

• FFLscreen
  • Fresh Boarder
BusyBee wrote:
You have a lot to learn, but you can do it. Just realize that this is serious business and not a little hobby. You can lose a lot of money really fast. I once came across the blog of a couple who started the Moxie Theater in Springfield. They started out with a concept and not a lot of inside knowledge, but they worked smart and figured it out. They ran an excellent business, which is still running successfully today even thought they no longer own it.

He left the archives of his blog up for people to read. I think it's a valuable read.
moxie.danchilton.com/

I skimmed a few posts in the beginning, middle, and end. Pretty interesting stuff. Thanks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction