Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Fund Raising Ideas
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fund Raising Ideas

Fund Raising Ideas 08 May 2014 18:55 #40887

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Like many small town operators I am now faced with going digital. I have neither that capital or credit to come up with the funds. Do you all (I'm now in Oklahoma so I suppose I should say y'all) have any fund raising ideas that were successful for you?

Bob
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fund Raising Ideas 08 May 2014 19:10 #40888

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I've heard of "buying a seat" programs that have been successful. buy your seat for $XXX and receive free tickets or concessions, etc.

good community support????
"What a crazy business"

Fund Raising Ideas 09 May 2014 08:44 #40891

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have seen some theaters having success on kickstarter (a fundraising website).if I were you i Get one setup and then I would try to reach out to Mrs underwood and see if she could promote that site on twitter or Facebook.
Jay

Fund Raising Ideas 09 May 2014 10:19 #40893

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
www.scrabbleventures.com/

Your auditoriums are small enough to use the small S2k DLPs. Scrabble requires a $6000 down payment and $600 a month on the Christie Solaria Ones. Add in another $8,000 in costs for other odds and ends and installation, and you can probably get up and running for $20k.

As far as fundraising, having initially tried that back in 2012 when we decided to re-open the theater, I would say don't bother. The best thing to do is find somebody who is interested in investing in the business and get them to write you a check.

This requires you to become very well versed in the industry as it works today. You can't walk in to a room and plead with somebody to help you convert to digital because you mistakenly thought you could make it much longer without switching. Make the case instead that you waited until just the right moment because the prices of the equipment has fallen dramatically in the last 3 years and the entry cost is much smaller because of it.

Fund Raising Ideas 09 May 2014 13:57 #40894

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Andrew Thomas wrote:
www.scrabbleventures.com/

Your auditoriums are small enough to use the small S2k DLPs. Scrabble requires a $6000 down payment and $600 a month on the Christie Solaria Ones. Add in another $8,000 in costs for other odds and ends and installation, and you can probably get up and running for $20k.

Bob, I know you were not paying yourself anything earlier in the year. So would you have the ability to pay Scrabble $1200 a month?

I agree with Andrew about fundraising. This theater has been closed for most of its recent history. I have not seen any theater that has been able to raise funds to any significant level with this type of operating history. I would believe that if people had truly missed this theater they would be beating a path into the theater since you reopened.

Besides Spiderman 2, what else are you playing? Besides not be able to get film prints, any reason you are not playing a 2nd movie?

Fund Raising Ideas 09 May 2014 17:17 #40895

• Wurlitzer7
  • Fresh Boarder
It seems that Kickstarter has about the best way of raising funds in a short amount of time. It also seems that the theatre has to have a great relationsip to the community. A good friend completed a more than AWESOME rebirth of a single screen. He had the complete support of the small town. The donor gifts given on Kickstarter unfortunately were a higher demand than he thought. Very sadly he passed about about six weeks ago. The studios have done a great disservice to the smaller houses. In many cases the local cinema keeps the town going with some sense of nightlife.

Fund Raising Ideas 09 May 2014 18:51 #40896

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Wurlitzer7 wrote:
It seems that Kickstarter has about the best way of raising funds in a short amount of time. It also seems that the theatre has to have a great relationsip to the community. A good friend completed a more than AWESOME rebirth of a single screen. He had the complete support of the small town. The donor gifts given on Kickstarter unfortunately were a higher demand than he thought. Very sadly he passed about about six weeks ago. The studios have done a great disservice to the smaller houses. In many cases the local cinema keeps the town going with some sense of nightlife.

Do you care to share the name of the theater?

Indiegogo might me better as you do not have to hit your goal to get money.

Fund Raising Ideas 09 May 2014 20:26 #40897

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Jack:

Our small auditorium (37 seats) is dark while my son is installing a video projector and sound for video gaming. When that is done I plan to run classic and sub-run product with that machine. It gives me a great picture in that auditorium.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Fund Raising Ideas 10 May 2014 01:35 #40898

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I just want to take 5 min and enjoy Bob asking about digital !

Fund Raising Ideas 10 May 2014 10:39 #40900

• Wurlitzer7
  • Fresh Boarder
Rufusjack.... This theatre appears to be in a great state of limbo. The owner never expected to pass away at such an early age. Sorry.

Fund Raising Ideas 10 May 2014 14:18 #40901

• bobezra
  • Fresh Boarder
Slapintheface said

"I just want to take 5 min and enjoy Bob asking about digital ! "

That's just petty and mean...

Fund Raising Ideas 10 May 2014 18:36 #40903

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
revrobor wrote:
Jack:

Our small auditorium (37 seats) is dark while my son is installing a video projector and sound for video gaming. When that is done I plan to run classic and sub-run product with that machine. It gives me a great picture in that auditorium.

Bob,

That is not a 4 week job. I have done that 4 times and it usually took no more than 1 day.

Are you thinking about getting rid of your booker? He did tell you that you had 7 more mos before you needed to convert to digital. And pushed you to play Anchorman 2.

Fund Raising Ideas 10 May 2014 18:40 #40904

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Wurlitzer7 wrote:
The studios have done a great disservice to the smaller houses. In many cases the local cinema keeps the town going with some sense of nightlife.

What should the studios do?

These are theaters that only generate a couple of hundred dollars of film rental each week if even that.

Fund Raising Ideas 10 May 2014 22:58 #40905

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Love Bob .. Good natured fun ..

Fund Raising Ideas 03 Jun 2014 23:32 #40987

• periwinkle
  • Fresh Boarder
revrobor wrote:
Like many small town operators I am now faced with going digital. I have neither that capital or credit to come up with the funds. Do you all (I'm now in Oklahoma so I suppose I should say y'all) have any fund raising ideas that were successful for you?

Bob

Being in a similar boat as you Bob, (though I do have the credit), we spent 3 months looking into what path to take in acquiring digital for two theaters, total revenue needed, equipment options, which financial options were least risky, take a second or lease the equip., laid out a multi-phase fundraising plan and were poised to launch it after we received the install date confirmation.

We decided to lease the equip. In March we sent off the down payment check, and put together our movie selection calendar while waiting to hear on the date of installation.

A few days later, the booker informed us we wouldn't be able to get the first two movies on our list; they have reduced the number of product being sent out on the break. The third movie on the list would require a large $ guarantee.

We cancelled the digital.
Periwinkle
Time to create page: 0.759 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction