Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marketing plans

Marketing plans 08 May 2014 18:42 #40886

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We are a small theater in a mountain community. Non VPF, two screens all digital. I book myself.

What's the issue with distributors refusing to allow us to open films at times? Sometimes they hem and haw about it and I get it....but this time Disney refused me MILLION DOLLAR ARM. I know my audience and they want this movie....we have no clearance issues and I pay on time.

Why do some "special releases" that open wide, open small enough that not everyone can get the film on the break? I know they are looking to build word of mouth, but with Internet access and media attention, most films have a short window where people are interested...isn't this old fashioned marketing becoming part of the past yet? Especially when there are no print costs? There are only a few companies who seem to do this now...Disney is one of them.

I would love to hear thoughts about this...I completely understood when it cost a lot to make a 35mm print but with Digital...I don't understand their reasoning.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Marketing plans 08 May 2014 19:11 #40889

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
if you ever get a reason, please share it. this makes me scratch my head a lot
"What a crazy business"

Marketing plans 09 May 2014 08:28 #40890

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
There is the theory that the screen average is important to filmco's. Don't know why it would be but that would explain the release patterns.
Jay

Marketing plans 09 May 2014 10:02 #40892

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Theatrical distribution has become advertising for other avenues of profit for the studios. DVD, Blu-ray, VOD, Cable, Streaming services, and general merchandising. Because of this, the studios are willing to give up the paltry sums that lower performing theaters generate to "win" on some metric. Million Dollar Arm isn't going to light up the box office, but with a good release strategy it may end up doing very well on a per screen basis. This is something that the studios can trumpet in the trades and is potentially worth more than the few tens of thousands of dollars they give up in not putting it in lower performing theaters.

That being said, I have a VPF and still got a print of Million Dollar Arm on the break. Might help that my booker is related to the Disney rep for my theater ;)

Marketing plans 22 May 2014 12:49 #40939

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
this is a particularly vexing issue... they (the distribs) really care about "per screen average" more than any of us can imagine...... still it's nuts... what is even worse is 3-4 weeks later they go "we're not expanding".... why? It just seems stupid.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Marketing plans 23 May 2014 16:29 #40943

• periwinkle
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, what happened to Summer Blockbuster season where everyone who asked for a movie got the movie??
Seems last year WIDE release numbers were around 3800. I noticed recently that number dropped dramatically to about 2500. What the heck??
They are turning First Run small theaters into sub-run.
Periwinkle

Marketing plans 28 May 2014 16:04 #40958

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Update....they did eventually offer me the movie but I'd already made plans with another film. Anyhow, it's frustrating because small towns should not be held to the same standard as larger urban theaters. Any way they could compile stats to leave small markets out?

Marketing plans 28 May 2014 17:02 #40959

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
really.... as near as I can tell... all they really care about these days is how will it play in China or Russia.... I guarantee you... they care more about unpronounceable cities in western China than they do small town America. NATO should change its name to IATO and drop that "national" thing. All the talk at Cinemacon from NATO was as if they were representing Russians and South Americans.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction