Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using Facebook

Using Facebook 21 Apr 2014 21:34 #40811

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
If you have a Facebook page for you theater, you can post to its page as the business (as an administrator) or as yourself.

But, if you post as yourself; only people who like the business page and your personal page will see the post, right? Which probably will just be your family and close friends?

So if you want people to see your message (say you are asking your community for their help in going digital) you should be posting as the business, right?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using Facebook 22 Apr 2014 08:45 #40812

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
it depends. Generally I do not post theatre stuff to my 800 personal friends... but then sometimes I do like special events or whatever...if someone can tell their friends they're listening to Katy Perry why can't I tell my friends I am excited about Spiderman 2? ... I manage at least ten different business and event facebook pages so I can switch around pretty easy. If I was fund raising I would absolutely post info on my personal page.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Using Facebook 22 Apr 2014 09:05 #40813

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike, we are not talking about the same thing. (And I am not being critical of anything you have done) I am not talking about a theater owner posting something about the theater on their personal page. So I am not talking about you posting something about one of your theaters on your page.

What I have seen is someone post on their theater's page as themselves and not the business. Or they comment to other's comments as them and not the theater. So in this case the actual theater customers (those who like the theater page) will not see these posts unless they are friends on that persons personal page too.

If you want to reach out to your theater customers by Facebook, you should post as an administrator meaning the post comes from the business. Not an individual. Am I correct?

For example. look at Andrew Thomas' theater page. He always posts as the business (Wellborne Cinema) and gets a great response.

I see very little discussion on how to use Facebook better on this forum. We have used it for another business we have and have been very happy with the response. But we are still learning.

Using Facebook 22 Apr 2014 12:15 #40815

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We have two different accounts (or pages) for our theatre. We have the standard "business page" that I post to as the administrator, and the post show up as being posted by "Stardust Drive-In". We also have a "Stardust Drive-in Facebook Fan Group" that I'm also the administrator on. When I post to that group, it shows that the posts are coming from me personally. Only draw back from posting as myself is that I get a lot of "friend requests" from the group members, and I do NOT accept their requests. One of the plus sides of posting as myself on the fan group, is even though I'm the owner of the theatre, I have patrons that walk up to me in the lobby and greet me by name, and many times I can call them out by name too. A little personal touch goes a long way sometimes.

Recently (within the last month or so) Facebook changed it's algorithms for business pages and how many people actually get to see your page postings. Before, if 3000 people "liked" your business page, every time you'd make a post, it would show up on almost all of their news feeds. Now it only goes out to a fraction of that based on if you "pay" for getting your message out to more people. When we first re-opened for this year, my messages would be seen by 1,500 +/- folks, now they're lucky to be seen by 250-300. Business is still good, but Facebook is limiting the exposure.

That being said, Facebook is still by far the best way for us to reach our customer base.
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee
Last Edit: 22 Apr 2014 12:18 by Barry Floyd.

Using Facebook 22 Apr 2014 13:37 #40816

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Honestly, I don't know the answer. But as you mentioned, I ALWAYS post under the business name. I feel like it makes me more accountable in how I post and interact with customers. If I do post something that may be received poorly by some, I make sure to sign it at the end with my name so that everybody knows these are both the words of the "company" and the owner.

I also discourage (though not outright ban) our employees from interacting with customers on our facebook page. I think it is very important to have a good control of the message you are sending to customers or potential customers. We want to promote a cohesive pro-customer viewpoint in everything we do on our page.

Using Facebook 22 Apr 2014 17:55 #40818

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Yes, you need to use your business page as the administrator for people to see the posts. Otherwise, your posts just end up in the "recent posts by others" sidebar that nobody sees unless they've actually clicked onto your page to read your post history.

FB is always messing with the algorithm and exposure is getting less and less, but I'm pretty sure you can swing the algorithm in your favor by posting frequently and getting likes.

I've tried paid posts and the exposure was huge, but it didn't really show me very tangible results beyond increasing consumer awareness of my presence, which is difficult to measure.

I've also heard from a group of pro photographers I'm friends with that when they link to their blogs in the post they get less views than if they put the link in the comments. So if you have a link, try putting it in the comments and see what that does for you.

Using Facebook 22 Apr 2014 21:54 #40820

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I am on the same page as you Busybee then. Good!

We just recently did an event for in bounce house/inflatable business where we only marketed it on Facebook. I paid $76 to boost about 4 posts. Facebook prefers images without almost no text. We used the comments section to say what we needed to say.

Our best boosted post was shared 176 times which I thought was great. We only had about 1100 page likes when we started and are up to 1400+ right now.

Using Facebook 22 Apr 2014 22:03 #40821

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
How should facebook be used?

IMO:
Thursday-Post what is playing over the weekend
Monday or Tuesday-post what will be starting on Friday

Sometime on a weekly basis mention future release schedule

We had good response from time to time getting people to see a movie right before it was going to leave by offering a free popcorn or something.

Certainly answering questions quickly is important

Besides Adam, I think Leeler does a great job on Facebook. Craig at Firehouse and Barry as well, Mike's staff seem to do a good job of getting customers engaged (which I understand is a key to get your posts seen).

Any others proud of your Facebook efforts?

Using Facebook 11 May 2014 14:44 #40906

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
To add: I can't understand why you would need more than one facebook page for your business. I can see if you have one official page and one page for a "friends of the theater" type page (not something I'd do, but I can understand it), but I see certain businesses with:

1. An official business PAGE
2. A personal facebook page set up like a business so you have to add them as a friend to get their updates.
3. A second business page with a slightly different name.
4. Secondary pages for regular event series' that happens at the same location (say, a gaming series or film series that runs regularly at a movie theater).
5. And maybe to tie it together, a facebook group too. I mean, why not, get all your bases covered, right?

You're splitting up your fans this way. Consolidate, keep it all in one place and engage your fans on a regular basis. Work the algorithm.

And log in to each page individually to post updates to that particular page so that it shows up in your fans' newsfeeds. Don't log in to page A and go onto page B to make an update. If you do, your comment shows up on page B's "recent comments by others" sections that nobody sees. If you want to make an announcement on Page B, then log in to page B.

Make yourself an administrator on all your pages, so when you are logged into YOUR PERSONAL facebook account, you can go to each of your facebook pages, make a comment, and it will automatically comes as a post/status update from that page and not from you personally.

This is driving me crazy. Facebook can be an incredible marketing tool, and I want to see everyone using it to their advantage, not to their detriment.

Using Facebook 11 May 2014 16:54 #40907

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
BusyBee pretty much nailed how to use FB properly. It really is not that hard and is a very good tool to have active engagement with your customer base.

Using Facebook 11 May 2014 17:54 #40908

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree with BusyBee as well.

Especially if you have no normal website.

Using Facebook 13 May 2014 00:38 #40911

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
We have 12,200 likes as of today and while it is very affective it is not as affective as it was a year ago .
We do now pay to advance event ads which we did not have to do before .

Using Facebook 13 May 2014 00:42 #40912

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Ok -- so one thing -- the most likes we ever got on a post was 3 weeks ago and that was 64,000 on 1 post when we got # 5 best movie theatre in the world .

We have not seen any day increase in business but the rental requests have increased with big offers.

Using Facebook 13 May 2014 07:45 #40914

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I agree with slap that it isnot as big of a thing as it was in the past. I think they've been tinkering with the algorithm and it is more difficult to get page views without paying for an ad. My ad budget just doesn't have room for facebook ads so it isn't as big of a thing for me as it once was
"What a crazy business"

Using Facebook 13 May 2014 13:06 #40915

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
I agree on that, too. I've paid for posts and I actually don't think it helped much. For a while, facebook was my #1 marketing component (other than website), but recently I've gone back to bolstering my other forms of advertising and trying new things.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction