Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Running Films Already On DVD?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Running Films Already On DVD?

Running Films Already On DVD? 28 Feb 2014 23:02 #40690

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
How many of you run films that are already on DVD (sub-run, retro run)?
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Running Films Already On DVD? 28 Feb 2014 23:52 #40691

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've seen it done for retro runs and it can look good with the proper equipment. It is a bit of an art to get the picture on the screen without any info images from the DVD.
They are booked through your regular booker (though the company that owns video rights may not own theatrical rights) and costs as much as $350.00. The same as a digital hard drive, which looks really good.
Retro runs can be very popular with the right movie. I can imagine lots of people on this forum have good experiences with this.
Bob

Running Films Already On DVD? 28 Feb 2014 23:56 #40692

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Do it all the time and make big big money !!

Casablanca
Shinning
Goldfinger

All big grossing !

Running Films Already On DVD? 01 Mar 2014 08:48 #40693

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
what about something recently released on DVD like Gravity?
"What a crazy business"

Running Films Already On DVD? 01 Mar 2014 10:45 #40694

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
In regards to current films, It has been my experience that running a film when it comes out on DVD, or shortly thereafter, has little effect on its performance, at least for 2nd run theatres. I have a feeling that may not be the case with first run theatres. When you are a single screen theatre, there are times when there is so much good product that you can not play it all off before some of it comes out on DVD. At times the DVD comes out during the week that we are playing a picture, and we see no drop off in business. Other times we are forced to open a film a week or two after the DVD release and it still does what I expected it to do.

In fact, I think that the TV advertising for the DVD release actually helps bring in more business, as it reawakens interest in the film again. By this time the first run theatres have already gotten everybody that is willing to pay the admission price charged by them, but the much lower admission prices at sub-run theatres makes seeing the film on the big screen at a theatre more attractive then on their TV at home. While the segment of the audience that will choose to go to the theatre once it's out on DVD will be small when compared to the overall audience that will buy or rent it on DVD, it often will be enough to boost attendaence at the theatres still playing it.

Running Films Already On DVD? 01 Mar 2014 13:00 #40695

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
For those that say it works for you to play a movie that recently came out on DVD, or even to play an older movie on DVD, what is your market size? Do you think it would work in a small town? I know RoxyVaudeville's market size is much larger than that of the Gentry Cinema in Checotah, Oklahoma.

If you are normally first run, how do grosses compare to movies played on the break or soon after? Is it 50%, 10%,or what?

Do you think that movies that had only mediocre ticket sales 4 months ago stand a chance of being profitable to run? Or should this kind of run be reserved for only major grossing movies?

Running Films Already On DVD? 01 Mar 2014 14:12 #40696

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm seeing a hole form on my schedule next week and I was thinking of playing one or more Oscar contenders there. Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, American Hustle etc. I've played all of these movies when they came out or shortly thereafter but was thinking of having a see it before they're off the big screen forever kind of week or something to that effect. It's got to do better then what I was going to play in that spot (down big time from last weekend so far)
"What a crazy business"

Running Films Already On DVD? 01 Mar 2014 15:04 #40697

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I will give my experience and my opinion based on observing the industry around me based on Rentrak reported grosses.

My experience:
I only ran movies off of DVD for private showings. Usually schools when there was no current movie that interests them. Hard to get a really good image on a screen in a large auditorium (70' by 34'). In a small room sure but most theaters small rooms are there to satisfy the studios run demands.

My opinion:
I still believe that a significant part of Roxy's appeal is the beautiful theater. Roxy is very modest on that he has a palace. www.roxytheaternorthampton.com/ Roxy your county is approx. 300,000 population if I recall and a palace would certainly pull from that big of an area. I hope to be able to see it sometime.

The theaters that have done well with retro movies are the independent/arthouse theaters in usually cities of 100,000 or more population.

There was a $3.50 discount theater near me in a market of 80,000 that did well when movies hit DVD (at least that was the story the manager told me). But that theater closed down last summer. Not sure what to believe there.

I do not believe this type of endeavor will add any significant profits to a theater like The Gentry Cinema. I have rarely seen a movie do well 4 mos after it opened do well when it did so-so on the break. The cost for decent equipment would be better used elsewhere. We also did video gaming on the big screen with minimal success. So thinking you should invest in the equipment to do both I believe is not worth it either. Your film projection equipment should be much better than any home use quality projector would be too.

Running Films Already On DVD? 02 Mar 2014 14:02 #40699

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
in lesser known films from the smaller distribs we are often asked "did you want it on BlueRay or DCP?" and that is quite normal. I will bet there's plenty of the smaller distribs big films that you can play on dvd/blue. And as of Feb. 25th Nebraska is out on dvd but that film has great buzz and would play well in many places this week.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction