Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby February Movies-Vampires and Legos
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: February Movies-Vampires and Legos

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 15 Feb 2014 18:32 #40636

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Kudos to those who passed on Vampire Academy. You know a movie is pretty bad when a 10-screen only shows it once on its second weekend.

VAMPIRE ACADEMY
PG13 1hr 44min
• Sorry, No Passes
SELECT A SHOW TIME TO PURCHASE
• Saturday, February 15

• 9:25 PM

Lego Movie was a nice surprise. With 3775 locations, I am guessing that everyone who wanted it on the break got it on the break? Bob (the old showman), are you playing it? Very impressed with its grosses.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 15 Feb 2014 22:46 #40637

• Andrew Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Not only is it doing great for us ticket sales wise (about 1500 tickets sold since it opened) but this one brings out lots of Dads on the weekend shows, so our concession per cap on Lego tickets is like 4.5.

Robocop is not doing much. We ended up booking Ride Along for a third week and will sell about as many tickets to Ride Along as Robocop...

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 16 Feb 2014 12:34 #40638

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Yes Jack, It's one of those I want to play as well as the muppet movie. I'm staying well away from "Vampire" as it's not only the type of film I would not play but I've seen a couple of reviews that say it isn't worth the effort.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2014 12:35 by revrobor.

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 16 Feb 2014 13:40 #40639

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
revrobor wrote:
Yes Jack, It's one of those I want to play as well as the muppet movie. I'm staying well away from "Vampire" as it's not only the type of film I would not play but I've seen a couple of reviews that say it isn't worth the effort.

Are you playing the Lego Movie now? Did you want it on the break? Did you ask for it on the break?

Vampire Academy is an easy pass for the small theaters as it did horrible business. Seldom will a movie do awesome for a small theater if it bombed nationally on the break. Less than $7m after two weekends is pretty bad for 2600+ locations.

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 16 Feb 2014 15:32 #40640

• Andrew Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
No wonder Bob believes he can keep showing 35 until next year, he's opening movies nobody wanted to see in the first place, and 2 months after they came out...

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 16 Feb 2014 17:19 #40641

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
I didn't ask for the Lego movie on the break. My instructions to my booker is wait until they come down to no more than a $500 advance then I'll take it. In a depressed area like this it is not important to the community to be among the first to see a film when they can wait a while and get in here for $4 (or $2 on Tuesday). The "I've got to see it the minute it comes out" mentality is reserved for some younger people in larger communities. "Nut Job" is one I played on the break simply because I didn't have to pay a large advance.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2014 17:21 by revrobor.

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 16 Feb 2014 18:05 #40642

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
So what are you playing now? And plan to play in the next week or two?

I know you played Anchorman 2 and hated playing it. (still not sure why your booker even had you play it since we all know your disdain for that type of content)

I know you played Madea Christmas recently. Did you get much business from that?

Are you having 2-3 choices for each screen to play each week?

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 16 Feb 2014 18:14 #40643

• Andrew Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
I'll never buy the notion that you'll sell just as many tickets in week 6 as you would have sold in week 1, in the aggregate. You may have a movie or two where that would happen, but that is becoming more and more rare. And with the way the studios are shifting their terms...you won't end up with a better percentage later in the run to negate the smaller number of tickets sold.

A big reason is that you capture a lot of people based purely on hype in week 1, and then you have to rely on word of mouth to keep the movie relevant in subsequent weeks. This is true in a big metro area and in a smaller rural area primarily because in the information age, even the rural folks are bombarded with advertising regarding movies.

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 17 Feb 2014 00:01 #40644

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes Jack I have several choices. Madea bombed for me which surprised me. Right now I'm playing "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and "Ender's Game". Both are fairly weak. I am my booker's only film client and he says he doesn't know until Monday what is available Friday. Sometimes I can get a print on the break (like "Nut Job" I mentioned above) other times I'm 2 to 4 weeks off the break.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 17 Feb 2014 11:22 #40645

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
revrobor wrote:
Yes Jack I have several choices. Madea bombed for me which surprised me. Right now I'm playing "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and "Ender's Game". Both are fairly weak. I am my booker's only film client and he says he doesn't know until Monday what is available Friday. Sometimes I can get a print on the break (like "Nut Job" I mentioned above) other times I'm 2 to 4 weeks off the break.

So you did not play Lego Movie because the advance was too high for you? Did your booker try to convince you to buck up the advance anyway? A 3700+ family release is pretty rare in February. Especially one that was trending so well pre-release.

Mitty is 8 weeks old.

Ender's Game is 16 weeks old and has been on DVD for a week.

Madea's Christmas was a 4.0 IMDB rating. Did your booker say it was good or did you just play because it was the only thing available?

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 17 Feb 2014 11:38 #40646

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
2-4 weeks for film.... IF there's a print (which there are not many) and IF someone who is doing well with it will release it.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 17 Feb 2014 18:48 #40648

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Jack, I played Madea because I wanted it not because my booker suggested it. I have a different business plan than most of the rest of you and you really wouldn't understand it. This place will succeed the way I want it to succeed not the way everyone else thinks it should succeed. Stay tuned.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 17 Feb 2014 18:51 #40649

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Andrew Thomas wrote:
No wonder Bob believes he can keep showing 35 until next year, he's opening movies nobody wanted to see in the first place, and 2 months after they came out...

Like the life of your theatre depends on the release date? If you can't be creative then you've got more problems then you're willing to admit.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 17 Feb 2014 18:51 by revrobor.

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 17 Feb 2014 21:47 #40650

• Andrew Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
I'm an economist by education. I'm numbers driven. Movies are getting more and more front loaded by the year. Even a town in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma knows that Lego Movie came out February 7th. And when 2 months go by before you book it, and they find out it comes out on DVD in 3 weeks...you've just thrown away thousands of dollars in tickets and concessions because you made a bad call. I paid a $1500 advance (not even guarantee...) on Lego and sold enough tickets by the end of the first Saturday night that my advance was all eaten up. Not to mention the fantastic concession per cap I was generating on tickets sold to that show.

You're the "old showman", and I've been doing this all of 8 weeks. I guarantee I'm doing a lot better numbers already, and I'm digital from day one allowing me to book most movies on the break even in the slow winter months and anything else I want in week 3. I bet my free midnight screening this Friday will generate more business at the concession stand than your place will all weekend because I'm really good at generating hype and interest (~3500 people on our theater Facebook page and counting) and my customers are already a loyal bunch.

But please, guy who books non-sensical flicks for his demographic like Madea's Christmas, teach me about being creative. I would love to make such bold and creative moves.

"The Gentry Cinema is both a first run and sub-run theatre. If you must be the first to see a new movie and we don't have it you can go someplace else and pay twice the price for tickets and snacks." - The Old Showman.

Speaking down to your patrons is definitely a recipe for success. As is opening a theater at the tail end of 2013, film only, with no plan on how to convert to digital and asking people on Facebook how they think you should raise the required funds.

Teach us your ways!
Last Edit: 17 Feb 2014 22:25 by Andrew Thomas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: revrobor

February Movies-Vampires and Legos 18 Feb 2014 01:30 #40651

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
How will the Gentry earn enough to go digital at $4/$2?
Will a first run film get played at These ticket prices?
Would the studios want their cut of that lowball price?
Where are you getting $1 retail candy? Can you get enough volume to make money?
Coke or Pepsi? Fountain or cans?
Good luck. If you figure this out other small properties get saved
--Nash
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction