Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Is the giant multiplex model dead?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is the giant multiplex model dead?

Is the giant multiplex model dead? 14 Feb 2014 21:21 #40633

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Looking 5 - 10 years out is the giant multiplex model dead are we headed back to a more realistic 8 screen size Theatre model ?
I am a firm believer movie theatres will always be around in some shape or form but are we seeing the end of monster everything as technology changes ? Bookstores once mom and pop went to giant stores now soon to be back to mom and pops . The only video stores still around mom and pop stores as well as Department stores ..
Is this were we are headed ??
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2014 21:21 by slapintheface.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is the giant multiplex model dead? 15 Feb 2014 01:09 #40634

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Anecdotally, it seems increasingly rare to see cinemas built with more than 16 screens, while in the late 90s through mid 00s, we saw many many 20-30 screen cinemas built. The mid-size circuits are all building 10 screens or less these days.

Is the giant multiplex model dead? 15 Feb 2014 18:25 #40635

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Here is what I found for the past 3-4 months:

Cinemawest Meridian, ID 15 screens
Cinemawest, Twin Falls, ID 13 screens
Legends at Sparks Marina, Nevada 12 screens
Regal, Plantation, FL 12 screens
Regal, Santa Maria, CA 14 screens
Goodrich, Saginaw, MI 10 screens
Landmark Theaters, 2 locations in the DC area planned one with 10 screens and one with 16 screens

I have not seen any less than 10 recently (defined as new builds). It would seem that the biggest population areas are pretty built up. The above list seem to be in cities of 50,000 - 100,000 people. (I only checked 3 in this list)

I do think 20+ is too many. I also believe that 8 is too few for markets over 100k population.

Is the giant multiplex model dead? 17 Feb 2014 15:14 #40647

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Those giants that even built across from each other in an outright war have been thinned out. The bigger they are the more population they need and ego does not pay the bills.A couple years of deep losses make corporate bosses who were pugilistic geniuses one year a little less welcome to long term planning meetings. If they still have a job. Right sizing to the population and the competition is critical. But even more important is customer experience. If theatre goers like a theatre they'll go further to visit that theatre. So it may be big and soul-less or it may be just a 3 screen that people love. It will always come down to experience in the end.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Is the giant multiplex model dead? 20 Feb 2014 09:06 #40681

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
[quote="slapintheface" post=40633The only video stores still around mom and pop stores as well as Department stores ..
[/quote]

I am still pretty active in the video store community. The small mom and pop stores are going away too. There are a few stores that will remain for a while. Those tend to fall into two different camps: 1) those that cater to independent/arthouse type of movies (you do not find these movies in a Redbox machine) and 2) stores that have diversified their products and services like tanning, buy/sell/trade stores, or a theater in Leeler's case. The famous Scarecrow Video in Seattle is threatened to close but has some deep money behind it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction