Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Laser .... The new digital

Laser .... The new digital 25 Oct 2013 06:48 #40380

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
It's coming faster than you think , are you ready ....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Laser .... The new digital 25 Oct 2013 09:31 #40382

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Are studios pushing this? What are the benefits to them? From what I've read, laser projector manufacturers promise a high quality image and a long, maintenance-free life without replacing bulbs. Other than image quality, that doesn't sound like anything the studios would be concerned about. Is the picture really that much better than other forms of projection?

Laser .... The new digital 31 Oct 2013 11:48 #40392

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
There's no more reason for a studio to be interested in this than they are about whether you really meet DCI light specs on your screen now.

On the other hand, it will be of great interest to exhibitors in certain, hard-to-light applications, and it might someday become the standard. I doubt that day will come while I'm still in the business though.

Laser is about to be installed in the Seattle Cinerama, an appropriate venue, I'd think. The cost is rumored to be around $140k. For me, that's the cost of a big projector and about 45 years worth of xenon bulbs.

I could put two projectors on the same screen, increasing my light that way and still be able to feed bulbs and electricity to the things for nearly 15 years.

So... still too early for me. Now, considering how expensive the first digital projector were, the cost of laser could also come down some. After the technology matures a bit and the cost settles down, I'd probably be willing to look at it for my 86-foot screen. I don't see Laser paying for itself on my smaller ones though.

The best part is, we can see how well it works out at a theatre, just an hour from where we live!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction