Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby How many digital projectors do I need?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How many digital projectors do I need?

How many digital projectors do I need? 27 Aug 2013 19:29 #40259

• bpk
  • Fresh Boarder
Working on plans for a venue (trying to figure out what sort of venue) that will have four rooms with the potential for four screens. At least two of the rooms will have traditional theater seating with a traditional theater feel. The other two rooms will have an arthouse, lower budget feel. Additionally, we have a very large 35' x 100' multipurpose space where we will have live music, theater, streaming content like opera, ballet, and other events. We will also have a full bar and light food.

Right now I am planning on two digital screens but wondering if this is overkill for a non-trad, arthouse theater. If I get one digital screen, would that be sufficient? I realize it depends on what I plan to screen. As of now, I am envisioning at least one main stream film at all times, with two to three arthouse titles. Are most arthouse titles being released on BluRay these days?

Due to budgeting, I may need to cut one of the digital screens.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How many digital projectors do I need? 28 Aug 2013 14:08 #40262

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
You can get some of the indie/art titles on Blu-Ray for current showings, but generally only from the smaller distribs (IFC, Magnolia, etc). You can not get Blu-Ray from any distribs with ties to the majors (Focus, Sony Classics, Fox Searchlight, etc) until they are released on home video.

How many digital projectors do I need? 28 Aug 2013 18:51 #40263

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
You should plan on a full commercial digital projector for each room you will play movies on.

How many digital projectors do I need? 29 Aug 2013 13:56 #40267

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
for all the talk about "non traditional" keep in mind that those are the hardest events and films to draw patrons... and many people think of The Butler, Blue Jasmine, etc. as "art house" films.... you will not be able to play those without digital projection. In this business you can never have enough diversity. If you have three screens you'll want four and so on. Go the distance. Why hamper and hinder yourself just as you start up?
Michael Hurley
Impresario

How many digital projectors do I need? 29 Aug 2013 14:51 #40268

• bpk
  • Fresh Boarder
Excellent responses. Thanks so much. Some of what led to my considering dropping one digital projector was a conversation I had with our local film fest director. She said that most of what they receive is on Blu-ray. But as Mike suggests, most of these are non-trad and will certainly only draw the film lover, highly cultivated crowd.

As aside, is there a general rule of thumb about distance you need from another theater to get the same film? Again, my market is highly underscreened.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction