Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Independant/vintage film bookings
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Independant/vintage film bookings

Independant/vintage film bookings 10 Aug 2013 01:41 #40203

• mcnamara
  • Fresh Boarder
We are a small town, second run, weekends only theater.
Considering showing independent and/or vintage films once a month or more on weekdays.
I know I can get DVD's from Swank, Criterion but I need help with the programming, deciding what to show and what would be appropriate for our area.
Does anyone do that for theaters? Suggestions welcomed.Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Independant/vintage film bookings 10 Aug 2013 06:56 #40204

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I do the only issue on this site is I only book Theatres that want to make money. !!!

Independant/vintage film bookings 10 Aug 2013 07:00 #40205

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
When you choose a Film buyer .....
# 1 question ....
Is how many Theatres that you book make money ...
This should not include non profits ...

Independant/vintage film bookings 10 Aug 2013 07:01 #40206

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Call Frank Rash: 402-223-5119 (it may be 5719 I can't make out my writing). Tell him I sent you. He did a great job of booking for me back in '06.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Independant/vintage film bookings 10 Aug 2013 16:07 #40208

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
revrobor wrote:
Call Frank Rash: 402-223-5119 (it may be 5719 I can't make out my writing). Tell him I sent you. He did a great job of booking for me back in '06.

Bob,

Did you play any independent/arthouse movies? Do you know if Frank has many theaters in this area?

I would give Slap credit here as he knows independent/arthouse. If I was a theater operator wanting to program independent/arthouse I would want a buyer/booker with good experience in this area.

Besides Slap, I know Larry Thomas has booked these type of movies a decent amount. His number is 513-232-2164.

Now, why are you wanting to play these type of movies? Small towns normally will not support (meaning making money) them. I believe the minimum characteristics would be: 1) min. of 50,000 population UNLESS you are in a town of 10,000 people WITH a liberal arts college/university with a diverse mix of students. 2) A history of voters voting for democratic candidates.

Independant/vintage film bookings 10 Aug 2013 22:56 #40211

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Frank works out of Nebraska and has theatres all across the country. He never booked any indie stuff for me. I just know he was very efficient for me. I always knew nearly a month ahead of time what I would be playing and he got me anything I wanted.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Independant/vintage film bookings 14 Aug 2013 13:10 #40232

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
any time I have strayed into arthouse movies I am disappointed with the results. If my customers aren't hit over the head with commercials or if there isn't LOTS of word of mouth going on a picture then it just has hardly any chance of breaking out. It takes what I lovingly refer to as film nerds to make an arthouse work. And sometimes you have to cultivate film nerds in your area by playing movies like this for a long time before they start to trust your judgment in bringing in these types of movies before it starts to work. It takes time to cultivate this crowd and for every film nerd out there there are ten people who just won't come to these types of movies. Therefore, you need a large population to draw from, which I don't have......
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction