Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre?

Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre? 18 May 2013 20:04 #40000

• Fresh Boarder
We are a small town, one screen theatre. Like every other single screen, its difficult to pick which movie will work for the time its there. Being non-profit we also have occasional live music & community theatre.

We are considering the idea of adding a smaller, 100 seat, 2nd. screen so that 1 - when we have to have a 3 week film, like Iron Man 3, we could still get Star Trek when it opens, and 2 - have more live shows which we do ok with. We have a stage behind the existing screen that works great. Its not just the 3 week films, but it would give us more flexibility overall I think.

Being non-profit definitely helps, as there are grants to apply for. That is what made it possible for us to go digital. But I don't know is the idea of a 2nd. screen is a practical idea. Any thoughts? Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre? 19 May 2013 00:38 #40001

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
The problem IMO is when you split a small town one screener you end up with small screens. Theatres should have screens as large as the building will allow and big sound. I think it would be cheating the public. Can you book two films at the same time alternating showing them? That is early show, late show, matinee, evening. You'd probably have to clear the house between shows. We have a theatre here on the Oregon coast that's doing that.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre? 19 May 2013 02:52 #40002

• Fresh Boarder
The existing auditorium would stay as is - 308 seats, 16'H X 32'W screen. We have property next to one side of that auditorium to add a 32'W X 42'L, 100 seat screen. That would be the way to do it, I agree with you, rather than split what is there now. My goal would be to book 2 films at the same time, that is what would give us more options. Thank you for the advice.

Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre? 20 May 2013 16:17 #40022

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
In your first post, you probably have it figured out.

If McDonald's only sold burgers, they'd only get customers that wanted burgers.

By also selling chicken and fish, McDonalds has offerings for customers who don't want burgers today.

(Substitute movie titles for "burgers", "chicken" and "fish")

:)

Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre? 20 May 2013 16:40 #40023

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Adding a second screen makes business sense, and no doubt you'll increase revenue. But splitting up a single screen theater sucks as far as making your screens smaller and altering the grandiose experience of a single screen. We did it here to our historic single screen theater. The theater isn't quite as awesome on the inside as it was as a single screen, but it made our theater a viable business where it wasn't before.

Just curious-- Bob, is this theater on the Oregon Coast splitting brand new first-week releases like Iron Man 3? Or is it move-over bookings? Because we can't split almost any new title (in the second or 3rd week), even thought it would help us make substantially more money. Splitting screens makes sense, but in my experience the studios rarely allow it on first-run titles.

Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre? 20 May 2013 20:41 #40026

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
It appears to be close to the break BusyBee. There closest competition is 35 miles away. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Add 2nd. screen to 1 screen small town theatre? 27 May 2013 21:47 #40035

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
unless you are in a major market you absolutely should add screens whenever you can. And why add just one? Add two if you have the space. You will never be sorry you added a screen. I have never heard someone say "Geez...I added one two many screens." But ask people if they'd add a screen if they could.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction