Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Film rentals new high

Film rentals new high 18 May 2013 01:56 #39995

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Shocking the terms studios are asking this year .
Could this be do to the trend of theatres Loosing 60%
Of there theatre seating for dinning and or luxury seating ?
What is the new trend of reportory fees $350 vs 35 for
Blu ray ??? Prices are going up!
'
Last Edit: 18 May 2013 01:59 by slapintheface.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Film rentals new high 18 May 2013 15:58 #39996

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
If studios raise their rates on new releases, that's something they "might" have some kind of justification for. They "may" have higher expenses, due to production and promotion expenses.

But when they start asking for more money for repertory showings from Blu-Ray, that is something totally different. I suppose it's possible that some movies are still in the red even after Blu-Ray release... if they stank bad enough. But in that case, nobody is likely to want to play them as a repertory showing. What I see here looks more like one of two things. Either it's greed, plain and simple. Or, it is an effort to limit the number of repertory showings, mainly to larger venues that draw bigger crowds. This means that smaller theaters will again be the ones who suffer most.

Just thought of a 3rd reason. Repertory shows may be seen as competition against Blu-Ray retail sales.

Film rentals new high 20 May 2013 16:07 #40021

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Here is a comparison that might not be too much of a stretch.

Before everything went digital, I once asked a telephone company exec why a "data pair" was so much less expensive than an unequalized "audio circuit". Technically, they were both just a wire between two locations. The exec said that the sale was based on the "service provided", and not necessarily the "technology required". Really... adding "call waiting" or "caller ID" to your phone service is nothing more than a mouse click on a setup screen. It costs the company no more to provide the service. You, however, will pay for the additional value received.

Before print availability (vs digital) became a factor, you might not be offended by a "minimum vs percentage" model. Over on my side of the fence, an older picture would most likely be priced that way. Just because the vehicle has changed (DVD VS physical film), doesn't mean the content sold is any different. The studios probably figured that out a long time ago.

I've been considering an occasional "retro night", and have noted the studios want the same fees they normally would, even though I could get most of the content from Red Box, Amazon or Ebay.
Last Edit: 20 May 2013 16:09 by rodeojack.

Film rentals new high 20 May 2013 18:35 #40025

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Jack, it's not the fact that they charge rental for Blu-Ray. It's their property and they have a right to rent. What bothers me, and I suppose Slap, is that they have raised the prices above what it has been in the past, and this is without even having to take any risk to loan out a physical asset that cost them money to own. In the past older titles could be had for more like $150 to $250.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction