Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby want to start a theater
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: want to start a theater

want to start a theater 05 May 2013 04:06 #39945

so basically i want to start a theater but i am very confused about how to book a movie to show it. can some one please explain the process as simple as possible ? are there any company's that do movie booking ?
Last Edit: 05 May 2013 04:06 by no where theater.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

want to start a theater 05 May 2013 13:11 #39946

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This is a basic question that has been discussed here too many times already. If you want to own and operate a business you have to do your homework

want to start a theater 05 May 2013 23:36 #39949

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Bob is right. Do you have a building? Do you have financing and a business plan? Have you contacted equipment suppliers? Have you surveyed the community? Where is your nearest competition. What type of films do you want to run? Do a search on this site. Good luck.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

want to start a theater 06 May 2013 01:05 #39950

I have been doing research for a while, I guess you could say that im just thanking about it at the moment. but I am starting to get very serious about it. my understanding is that you have to go through a booking agent right? I want to start a theatre that plays 1st run movies. I have two places in mind one is a 2 screen that has been closed for about five years because they moved into a bigger building, the problem with it is that the new 9 screen and a drive in is about 10 minutes away. the better, more expensive option I thank in an old grocery store that closed a few years ago but it would have to be completely remodelled, but the nearist screen would be over 30 mins away. I have done no polling or any thing but it is a conmen complaint that there is no movie theatre around. can any one tell me how to get a burntness loan ?

want to start a theater 06 May 2013 04:17 #39951

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
You don't HAVE to use a booker. But since you have no experience it would be best to begin with. But until you get the financing, building, equipment, local licenses, etc. taken care of there is no point in contacting a booker.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

want to start a theater 06 May 2013 04:43 #39952

thank you for you input :) could any one tell me how to go about getting start up money ?

want to start a theater 06 May 2013 10:37 #39953

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
There is no easy way to get a business loan, especially for a start-up. If you have no experience in the industry, no significant amount of money of your own to put into the project, no detailed market analysis, and no detailed business plan, you don't stand a chance to get a business loan. Come up with all those things first, and then you might have a chance.

Most business loans require 30% to 50% of the project money to come from you before a lending institution will give you a loan. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking, they will be extremely hard to find. And if you or someone else in your company doesn't have the experience, forget it. Same goes for the market analysis and business plan. And no, you can't just buy a business plan, unless you want to pay a consultant to do it for you. It takes time, research, and hard work to put one together that's worth a hoot.

want to start a theater 06 May 2013 11:33 #39955

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Loans: Banks like real estate and stocks/bonds as collateral. Forget about using equipment as collateral. Business loans are extremely tough to get right now. You will have a tough time getting one without experience and a good chunk of capital.

Private Investors: Parents/Grandparents? Most people with money are pretty risk averse.

2-screen: Tough to run unless in a market far-far away from another theater.

This is an expensive industry to get into these days vs in the past. I would expect you would need at least $150k if not $200k for equipment and improvements to get that twin running again. There are very good reasons it has sat empty for 5 years. I would say you would have a tough time playing first-run at this location too. But a call to a booker would help you there. Larry Thomas I have found to be a good guy to talk to 513-232-2164.

want to start a theater 06 May 2013 20:57 #39958

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
revrobor wrote:
But until you get the financing, building, equipment, local licenses, etc. taken care of there is no point in contacting a booker.

Disagree. Talking to an experienced booker was incredibly valuable to me. The guy was able to look at the area and give advice on first/sub/2nd run, ticket pricing, studio agreements (film rentals, guarantees, etc.) that I couldn't get from anybody else without paying a consulting fee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: no where theater

want to start a theater 07 May 2013 01:51 #39959

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Andrew Thomas wrote:
revrobor wrote:
But until you get the financing, building, equipment, local licenses, etc. taken care of there is no point in contacting a booker.

Disagree. Talking to an experienced booker was incredibly valuable to me. The guy was able to look at the area and give advice on first/sub/2nd run, ticket pricing, studio agreements (film rentals, guarantees, etc.) that I couldn't get from anybody else without paying a consulting fee.

Agreed.

want to start a theater 07 May 2013 04:09 #39960

what kind of questions might a loan officer ask ? i might be able to come up with a little money for a down payment, but it would only be like 1,000. would a drive in with all computation at least 30 mins away possibly be profitable ?

want to start a theater 07 May 2013 04:20 #39961

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
A loan officer is going to need (more likely than not) a business plan, proof of income for yourself and any other principle in the company, a personal guarantee from you and any other principle in the company, and collateral that will most likely come in the form of another business with excellent books over the last 36 months putting their receivables on the line.

Not to discourage you, but if you only have $1000.00 to put into this project, you are vastly undercapitalized and nobody in their right mind would put any money of their own into it. I would spend the better part of the next two years becoming an expert on the industry and your particular market while also saving every dime you can. Make relationships with money people so that two years from now you are ready to pitch your project to them.

Whatever you do, don't try and tap any potential source of funds right now with your current understanding of the business. Nothing will stop you from getting a loan or investors quicker than having no answer to basic questions about the business.

want to start a theater 08 May 2013 06:04 #39962

okay just one more question, and i know that this set up would be far from idea but would it work until i could get up more money for better equipment ? okay lets say i could borrow some land from a friend, and if i was to go buy a rely nice home theater projector and run a small drive in would i be able to get 1st run movies from the disturbers ? or are they a specific projector size/ type needed for this? the nearest computation form this area would be over 40 mins away. and all the money made from this would be put up to upgrade asap. I don't thank this would work but i figured i would ask and see, the land already has some older buildings that could be used for the projection booth, and a concision stand. thank you for sharing you knowledge with me

want to start a theater 08 May 2013 07:26 #39963

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
There is no way any home theatre projector would work for a drive-in. Drive-ins require the most powerful projection system available.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 08 May 2013 07:27 by revrobor.

want to start a theater 08 May 2013 07:30 #39964

ok lets say a mircale happend and i did get it to work, this is just hypothetical. would the movie distro's allow me to show movies on such a low-fi screen ?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction