Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby what % of screens are digital now?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what % of screens are digital now?

what % of screens are digital now? 06 Feb 2013 21:10 #39752

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I hear that 75-80 % have converted.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

what % of screens are digital now? 07 Feb 2013 00:34 #39756

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Mike wrote:
I hear that 75-80 % have converted.

That number to me is unimportant. More importantly how many film prints were made for:
Warm Bodies 3009 locations
Hansel & Grete 3375

How about the upcoming Die Hard?

I am seeing a couple of film only locations playing all move-over movies now when they have been playing some movies on the break.

what % of screens are digital now? 07 Feb 2013 05:48 #39757

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
One local single screen first run near me that has never historically grossed much of anything (definitely not enough to cover the cost of the 35mm prints they have gotten in recent years) .... even with the biggest of blockbusters .... and which theatre still seems to get its choice of titles on the break ..... did manage to snag a 35MM print of Hansel & Gretel on the break for two weekends only (a total of six shows).

So when I repeatedly read the complaints about print availability from the operators on this board ..... who certainly cant be grossing any worse this particular theatre ...... it just serves reinforce what I have always destested most about this business - that it is always more about who you know (or who you bl*w) then the grossing merits of your particular theatre.
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2013 05:49 by muviebuf.

what % of screens are digital now? 07 Feb 2013 15:23 #39758

• Mike
  • Administrator
Young Skywalker: worry not about a film like Hansel and Gretel: that was a pic where every screen in the world gets a print. Worry more about a slightly lesser known film ... The Help was the first huge warning sign to me, that came out with 2000 prints and 150 are 35 mm and I don't care who you know if you are a small town in WI, TX, ME, MI, WA or CA you will not get that 35 mm print. On the other hand.... if you have digital... and you do not have a vpf..... you will get about 99% of all films on the 2nd week and be in a better position for first run as well. In any event: every theatre that converts lessens the need for 35 MM prints and they are screaming along. Ask any tech. It is happening. M
Michael Hurley
Impresario

what % of screens are digital now? 19 Feb 2013 05:39 #39769

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
According to NATO, the domestic conversion rate for indoor screens is above 85%, with drive-in screens currently at 10%, but expected to increase to 30-50% by this spring as the season drive-ins begin their digital transition.
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

what % of screens are digital now? 19 Feb 2013 17:20 #39772

• Mike
  • Administrator
expect a "no more 35 film prints" after 2013 at some point this spring or summer from one distrib with the majority of others to quickly follow. Hear that lonesome whistle? That is the sound of a ship making steam and about to leave port. Get on board or "miss the boat".... and until you have truly missed a boat you don't really know what it means. This train is getting ready to leave the station.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

what % of screens are digital now? 20 Mar 2013 14:13 #39833

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
In my area Fox is calling people begging them to take "The Croods" - particularly 35MM screens as they seem to have a lot of film prints available. They are even taking moveover screens on this - even almost without regard to what you charge.

what % of screens are digital now? 20 Mar 2013 16:52 #39834

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
muviebuf wrote:
In my area Fox is calling people begging them to take "The Croods" - particularly 35MM screens as they seem to have a lot of film prints available. They are even taking moveover screens on this - even almost without regard to what you charge.

Pretty funny considering Fox has been THE studio people have pointed to regarding the beginning of the end of 35mm.

what % of screens are digital now? 21 Mar 2013 16:40 #39839

• Mike
  • Administrator
I don't know when the word will come but it will come.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

what % of screens are digital now? 22 Mar 2013 18:34 #39842

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
Maybe this is the reason that Fox was willing to take any theatre for 'The Croods':

Dreamworks Desparate For A HIt
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction