Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this?

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 02 Jan 2013 09:27 #39636

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
We've just added Real D 3D in our theater - a one-screen, second-run house. So far, so good. Have any of the rest of you done 3D in second-run? And if so, how has it gone?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 02 Jan 2013 13:08 #39637

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I have an account similar to your theatre: discount run, single screen, digital with 3-D. It's probably too soon to make an overall assessment of using 3-D, but so far it sure hasn't hurt any.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPRM

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 02 Jan 2013 18:50 #39638

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, Larry. There have been so many variables at play since we got 3D (Christmas vacation, a couple of really strong titles) that it's hard to tell how much difference it's made. The vacation time hasn't helped our 9pm show at all (Here Comes the Boom - from which I expected very little), so my best guess is that 3D has helped in a big way.

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 04 Jan 2013 03:22 #39644

• Ptwin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We are an intermediate $3.00 going to $3.50 tomorrow. We have 2 Digital of our 5 that are equiped with 3D, Dolby.

3D started out decen tour first year , we would usually play it strictly 3D for the first week or two then start going more 2D shows and less 3D after that. The demand on 3D has definately fallen over the last year, where previously i felt the $ amount i was getting in 3D was still better than the higher attendance in 2D.
I have always viewed 3d as a tool to help pay off the digital and no more than that.

2 years now with 3D, I split time with 2D and 3D showing right out the gate so i dont alienate the bulk of our customers from seeing the movie they have been patiently waiting for. 3D is so up and down with certain movies, some do great some dont, and you have to anticipate which is which. You have to really decide at what point is the difference in attendance (EI: 30 people 3D at a showing vs 80-100 in the same movie in 2D, worth the difference in concessions sales vs the 3D upcharge.)

Its definately not a Black and White decision, For me personally i would avoid 3D entirely in a Single Screen, unless i was definately the only gig in town, or depending on what your cost to implement it was. With real D its less upfront but more of a fee per ticket correct?

I was at one point a believer in it but am more cautious now about holding out on my audience. Happy to answer any other questions about it if you email paramounttwin@hotmail,com

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 04 Jan 2013 19:46 #39646

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
Ptwin - thanks very much for your post. It's good to hear from someone who has a couple of years' perspective on this.

It's waaay too early for me to guess how 3D will work over the long haul. As a business move, I put it in because it sets us apart. There's only one other second-run house in Oregon doing 3D, and there are no others with Real D. More importantly, we offer 3D with an upcharge of just $1. A family of four will save $28 to $40 on admission if they come to our place instead of one of the first-run chains in our area.

As of now, I don't see that we'd offer both 2D and 3D screenings of the same title. If we do that, the differentiation from other second-run theatres goes away.

So, we'll see how it goes over the coming months. I know we've been lucky to have some great titles (Wreck-It Ralph, Hotel Transylvania) over the holidays, but I do think 3D has something to do with the level of increase we've seen in business. A lot of our guests are telling us they've seen these movies before but wanted to see them in 3D.

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 10 Jan 2013 01:48 #39656

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I was told IF you had 3D with Digital, that the studios gave you no choice if it was avail in 3D? or was I misinformed?? (could be!)

Good to hear WE still have control!!!
tony.

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 10 Jan 2013 04:28 #39659

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
I don't know that studios are forcing anyone to play 3D. We've had a couple of 3D titles and could have played 2D instead - our could have played both formats.

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 11 Jan 2013 02:41 #39662

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
ttroidl wrote:
I was told IF you had 3D with Digital, that the studios gave you no choice if it was avail in 3D? or was I misinformed?? (could be!)

Good to hear WE still have control!!!

You should be able to run both formats (which I recommend). The only time you will not is if the movie is re-issued in 3d (think Disney). You may be asked to run 3d in the 7pm time slot. For us the 12ish Sat/Sun slot was our best for family movies.

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 11 Jan 2013 02:43 #39663

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
JPRM wrote:
As of now, I don't see that we'd offer both 2D and 3D screenings of the same title. If we do that, the differentiation from other second-run theatres goes away.

I think you should run both formats. There significant amount of people that do not like 3d at all. I would guess you would run pretty close to 50/50 2d to 3d if you offered both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPRM

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 11 Jan 2013 19:45 #39665

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you, rufusjack. If I had multiple screens, I may do both, but with a single screen, I'll probably stick with one format at a time. Among other factors, I think that switching back and forth would confuse people. But mostly, I'm betting on a certain "Wow" factor that comes with offering 3D for such a low price.

Comparing attendance between 2D and 3D, though, is tricky because it's not apples to apples. The upcharge changes everything, and it becomes (I think) a huge factor with family films. I certainly believe that some people prefer 2D to 3D, but I absolutely know that people prefer paying $3 less per ticket.

Also, as with any biz, there are sooo many factors at play in determining what will or won't work in a cinema. Remember that "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" package from a year ago? We drew 80 people to a matinee of that thing (very good crowd for us). We charged dirt-cheap admission and advertised it as "the most Ho-Ho-Horrible holiday movie ever made" - and not as some nostalgic romp. I don't think that would have worked just anywhere, but this area is very receptive to that sort of thing.

So, to me, 3D is similar. There's a market for it, but it probably really helps a theatre if the conditions are right where you're doing business.

We've gone 3D! Any other second-run doing this? 11 Jan 2013 19:56 #39667

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
On our single screen we decided last year to offer both formats. It does make for some confusion but overall people seem to like it. We have eleven shows a week usually and five of those are 2D and six are 3D. 3D is more popular but I also give it the busiest show times as well (ie Fri and Sat nights are both 3D, whereas Sun and Tue nights are 2D) so it isn't a fair comparison.
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013 19:57 by leeler.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction