Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Drive In Theater Question #2
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drive In Theater Question #2

Drive In Theater Question #2 20 Dec 2012 03:31 #39601

• Joey
  • Fresh Boarder
What size property should I be Looking for to put up a two screen Drive in?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Drive In Theater Question #2 20 Dec 2012 03:59 #39602

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
At least 9 acres.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joey

Drive In Theater Question #2 20 Dec 2012 04:56 #39603

• Joey
  • Fresh Boarder
is there a website i can go to so i can see layouts and floor plans for projection houses?

Drive In Theater Question #2 20 Dec 2012 05:48 #39604

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I'm not at all sure they do it anymore but years ago Balantyne of Omaha provided plot plans for DIs. You might contact them to see if they still have any laying around.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joey

Drive In Theater Question #2 20 Dec 2012 12:44 #39605

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
There's not a lot of magic regarding projection room floorplans these days, but there are a few obvious guidelines.

You want your projector centered to the screen. The port (hole in the wall), where the projector shoots to the screen needs to be high and wide enough and the projector has to be physically high enough to shoot over the tops of passing cars. There are a lot of drive-ins with ground-floor booths, but I prefer a second-story room. Distance from the screen to the projector, as well as the screen size will dictate what lens you'll need. There are some restrictions here, so a visit to a theatre supply company (or two) will give you a lot of good information. While you're there, ask about the electrical requirements of the equipment you're considering. That will have to be added to the other needs of your concession & building operations.

As there are few other hard-and-fast rules, I would strongly recommend you visit a few drive-ins, well outside the area where you're interested in building. You might find their owners willing to let you tag along for a bit, and get some ideas for your own place.

Drive In Theater Question #2 21 Dec 2012 15:02 #39607

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
"well outside the area you are thinking of building in".... as I always say... movie theatre operators love each other: as long as they are at least 50 miles away. Drive in operators are a close knit bunch. If your drive in is remotely competitive with another drive in proceed with care. But finding someone in the biz and offering to work for free/ trail a bit/ learn a little: priceless. There are all kinds of weird ozoners these days, and not all allow you to drive your car in, some are just outdoor theatres, so... keep working the plan.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Drive In Theater Question #2 23 Dec 2012 00:30 #39616

• Joey
  • Fresh Boarder
The closest Drive In is an hour and a half form where I live. So I will be competing with a couple of indoor theaters. I expect to play up the family oriented and nastalgic atmosphere in contrast to the other theaters.

As for the projection house i was thinking of having the porjectors on the second floor with bathrooms and kitchen on the first floor. Now for discussion sake lets say I purchase a 9.5 acre lot and set it up with two screens. I would like to provide as large of a screen as possible. That being said, what suggestions can you offer?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction