Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: GDC and lost shows

GDC and lost shows 08 Nov 2012 19:41 #39473

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We've now lost 4 shows due to GDC server glitches. We are working with them. There appears to be a worsening of the problems and we are now averaging ONE LOST SHOW PER WEEK. We have now lost in one month more shows due to technical reasons than we did in the previous 17 years of 35 mm. It really really really sucks.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GDC and lost shows 08 Nov 2012 20:09 #39474

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Let me guess....does it have something to do with the SM (Security Manager)???

What a terrible "upgrade" that is. We've lost shows due to it, too. I think they're finally over with (fingers crossed).
"What a crazy business"

GDC and lost shows 08 Nov 2012 20:16 #39475

• Mike
  • Administrator
I am hearing it was due to the looming DCI required upgrade and that GDC knew it had problems but they forced us to upgrade anyway. What a diaper load.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

GDC and lost shows 08 Nov 2012 23:57 #39476

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Mike,
what exactly is your problem? Maybe we we start a knowledge base here.
I start with this..
Problem:
IMB cannot connect. OR Security manager cannot connect
Solution: Reboot GDC. I do that daily when I come in. Haven't had the problem show up anymore.

Problem:
Picture doesn't show up. Light is on, douser is open, right channel set - still no picture
Solution:
Cold boot the projector first, GDC afterwards. Very annoying error, happens more often now.

Jay

GDC and lost shows 09 Nov 2012 02:45 #39477

• cinema5net
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike,

I am having the same problem (like everyone else) but haven't lost any shows yet. I can reboot the server/projector and it then seems to work. But I talked to our tech guy and he said it is now a sequence issue. You have to shut down the server completely before you turn on the projector. Then after the projector is completely turned on then turn on the server. Or the other option is leave the equipment on all the time.

GDC and lost shows 09 Nov 2012 12:05 #39478

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
We are experiencing the same problem with the intermittent IMB failures. When starting a show, the lamp is lit, the sound is going through, and the movie is playing but there is no picture on the screen. We do a complete shutdown of both the projector and the server, and then wait for the projector to reboot, followed by a rebooting of the server. Most of the time, that solves the problem, albeit with a 7-10 minute delay in the start of the show. We are using Barco 32B projectors with Doremi IMB servers. Since we are closing down for the season soon, I am going to start breathing down Doremi's neck to get this problem resolved.

Another problem we experienced last weekend for the first time was the aforementioned security error, which gave us a red tail light on the projector and caused us to cancel a show while we tried to correct the issue. For no reason whatsoever, the projector decided it was being tampered with, causing the red tail light. We tried to clear the security code with the dallas key, but it didn't resolve the security error. Our technician recommended disconnecting the cables going into the IMB, then removing the IMB and pushing it back into the projector connection slot multiple times. Presumably to get a better connection. We then reattached all of the cables, and used the dallas key to reenter the security code. Eureka, it worked.

What a pain in the butt.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."
Last Edit: 09 Nov 2012 12:07 by Transit Drive in.

GDC and lost shows 09 Nov 2012 19:23 #39479

• Mike
  • Administrator
I am not our tech guy. Thank God we have a brilliant guy who runs a college IT and AV offices but I sure know when we have big problems. I think it is sorting out. It seems the problem is that DCI required older servers to be compliant by Nov. 1 and the patch was rushed. I understand that the problem was known and was not resolved and DCI forced the upgrade fully knowing there were problems. Apparently the new servers are DCI compliant and aren't the problem. The fact that it is Doremi and GDC says the problems are shared so it is probably originating at DCI.Remember when they used to tell you "you won't need a projectionist?" Yeah... right. My wife can run a 35mm show like a pro. When this latest digi failures started happening and she was on the phone with the techs and it started sounding like a nightmare conversation from hell.... I knew we had serious problems. This stuff is not only not incredibly reliable, upgrades have the ability to make it continuously unreliable.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

GDC and lost shows 09 Nov 2012 20:44 #39480

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Is it just me or are you guys having more trouble with digital equipment than you ever had with film equipment?
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

GDC and lost shows 09 Nov 2012 22:27 #39482

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
Bob, let's not make this a thread about disadvantages of Digital. We already have enough of those.
Jay

GDC and lost shows 11 Nov 2012 03:45 #39483

• bobezra
  • Fresh Boarder
What is Sonic's role in solving your issues?

GDC and lost shows 13 Nov 2012 18:10 #39494

• Mike
  • Administrator
Sonic as supplier has a role... GDC as mfg has ultimate responsibility, for now I would advise anyone: do not buy the older servers from anyone. I'm remembering at Cinecom two years ago and they had 15 geeks on the dias and they were all nuts happily spouting about the endless upgrades we'd be facing. Good grief. The problem with this junk is: it is never finished. It is never fine. It is al;ways in need of screwed up upgrades. And there is no responsibility.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

GDC and lost shows 13 Nov 2012 19:19 #39496

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
But the studios love it. They don't care how many upgrades you have to have or how many problems you have. They just know they don't have to make or ship as many prints.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

GDC and lost shows 14 Nov 2012 22:21 #39503

• Mike
  • Administrator
I'll bet you .25. You will not find a whiff of a story on this in Film Journal, Box Office, or Screentrade.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction