Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: cool thing about digital

cool thing about digital 16 Aug 2012 13:26 #39018

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I was on the phone with various distribs this week doing booking. I was told by 3 majors that with digital, generally speaking, no matter how many screens a picture opens on , anyone who wants a print (digital) can get it on week 3. That's nice.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

cool thing about digital 16 Aug 2012 13:40 #39019

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Until the print counts started declining, that was already the case for many of us. Still is, to some extent, though there are occasional delays up here in the Northwest.

cool thing about digital 17 Aug 2012 14:03 #39022

• Mike
  • Administrator
that was my point: the 35 mm print count is declining and no doubt about it. But availability is increasing to anyone with digital, much more so than with 35 mm, i.e. how many weeks did it take to get a print of The Help? If you did not open it? My point, furthermore :), is that it now appears that it is essentially all but guaranteed that you get a print on week 3 and that was never ever the case with the 35mm. I was told by a major that in many cases you could have a digi print on week 2. That's truly new.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

cool thing about digital 17 Aug 2012 14:36 #39024

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Mike wrote:
that was my point: the 35 mm print count is declining and no doubt about it. But availability is increasing to anyone with digital, much more so than with 35 mm, i.e. how many weeks did it take to get a print of The Help? If you did not open it? My point, furthermore :), is that it now appears that it is essentially all but guaranteed that you get a print on week 3 and that was never ever the case with the 35mm. I was told by a major that in many cases you could have a digi print on week 2. That's truly new.

What about for the 3200th location theater receiving a vpf? Have you run across that yet?

I know of one theater is able to open when he reminds the rep that they are NOT getting a vpf.

cool thing about digital 18 Aug 2012 03:03 #39028

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
For sure no VPF is A major advantage .

cool thing about digital 18 Aug 2012 03:06 #39029

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
The other major advantage is when you want to play multiple screens same movie. With no vpf you play as many screens as you wish without prior ok from the studio.

cool thing about digital 21 Aug 2012 17:13 #39035

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
slapintheface wrote:
The other major advantage is when you want to play multiple screens same movie. With no vpf you play as many screens as you wish without prior ok from the studio.

I've often wondered why they would even care. Technically, you just walked into your auditorium and discovered a lot more seats!

cool thing about digital 21 Aug 2012 19:54 #39036

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
The only studio this is an issue with is Sony. Since they use 90/10 still you must negotiate the house allowance for each added screen .

cool thing about digital 24 Aug 2012 15:22 #39042

• Mike
  • Administrator
I am currently booking screens in small towns on both digital and 35mm and there is no doubt, unquestionable, that you can get a print much faster and easier on digital than on 35mm after the film has opened. I have not yet been denied a print on week 3 of any movie whatsoever. Almost happened this, denied a digi print on week 3, week but then it did not. And if you do not have a VPF they will cuddle you, bathe you, feed you, give you a massage: you are money in their bank and they love you. Just say... "And there's no vpf." It's like pressing hundred dollar bills in a concierge's palm. I had two major distribs tell me that on week 2 if they have a hard drive on hand they'll give you a print on week 2. So: that's nice. But we do have a vpf. And they are still nice to us. Bottom line: it is easy to get digital prints and harder to get 35 mm and this will continue to accelerate.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

cool thing about digital 24 Aug 2012 21:08 #39047

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I'm really excited to be coming into this business in the digital era. Will be even better in a few years when delivery is IP based instead of on HDDs.

cool thing about digital 24 Sep 2012 17:27 #39246

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Well I am sure having trouble getting digital prints right now. I have never been turned down so many times in my 17 years in ownership. I am getting 35mm prints in my smaller towns, but not digital prints of same titles in my largest town. I am starting to wish I would have held off going vpf route.

cool thing about digital 24 Sep 2012 20:27 #39248

• Mike
  • Administrator
true... but 2 weeks out you get whatever you want.

I was told in a very clear strong voice... "ON TH RECORD: if a theatre has a vpf or not makes no difference to me. On the record I mean that 100 %. Am I clear?"

Clear.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

cool thing about digital 02 Oct 2012 14:10 #39311

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
maybe it is because I am in a no guarantee state, or my branch is handling differently, but I have been turned down for titles that are 2, 3 and 4 weeks old for digital while able to get on 35mm. Tbey are saying because of vpf fees,

cool thing about digital 02 Oct 2012 15:24 #39312

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
that'weird because we're in the same state and I have not experienced this problem. Some minor problems in Iowa from time to time but there is a minimum there.

I have noticed that hard drives seem to be appearing earlier in the week, too which is nice. Got my ones for this weekend on Monday
"What a crazy business"

cool thing about digital 05 Oct 2012 16:52 #39335

• Mike
  • Administrator
just talked to an Argo rep. He has just 8% of his plus 250 screens with a 35 mm print. When you are talking 8% you are looking at near extinction.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction