Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Cost of opening a four screen
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cost of opening a four screen

Cost of opening a four screen 01 Aug 2012 03:26 #38961

• SubZero
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, my name is Jonathan. I am looking at opening a four screen theater. Second run (classics) and foreign asian films(these mostly) as well as a bit of indie/art house type stuff. The theater is already standing but not being used so I will not have to build it, also, I intend to buy all used equiptment if possible.
What would be the likely cost for getting this running? And thus, what size loan should I be looking for?

Thanks!
Last Edit: 01 Aug 2012 03:27 by SubZero.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cost of opening a four screen 01 Aug 2012 03:43 #38962

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
$134,538.16 including 50# of corn and one bib of oil

Cost of opening a four screen 01 Aug 2012 15:03 #38963

• SubZero
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll be reopening a theater that closed a few years ago with a somewhat different identity and a different target audiance. I haven't had a chance to see the inside but I'm hoping the seats and screens are in place and in tact. So minus the cost of seating and screens and being that I would be renting and not buying or building from scratch, would it still likely be at or over 100K?

Thanks

Cost of opening a four screen 01 Aug 2012 15:20 #38964

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Zero,
welcome to the forum.
I believe, what Nash tried to say with his answer is:
There is no way anyone can answer your question. You have to read the forums. You need to know what the difference between 35mm film, digital and a dvd is, you need to know what you need to show the movies of your choice and then come back and ask questions.

Or don't do any work and hire a consultant.

Good luck,
Jay

Cost of opening a four screen 01 Aug 2012 16:03 #38965

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I believe now is the time to NOT open closed theaters. Wait a couple of years for the dust to settle on digital equipment.

Yes, you can get used film equipment for pretty much free. Just because you can does not mean you should. Despite what a few people have been saying lately, running a small business is very hard work and I believe a theater is harder than most (I have operated in three different industries). Why do you want to operate any business for free or negative sweat equity if you can not operate it a year from now?

As far as your target, very few of those exist.

Cost of opening a four screen 01 Aug 2012 19:26 #38966

• SubZero
  • Fresh Boarder
I know you all may not know the specifics of the situation, but does $50,000 sound at all reasonable?

Cost of opening a four screen 01 Aug 2012 23:22 #38970

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I would doubt that 50K is enough to open even an unseen theatre. If it was put away in perfect condition it's not enough. And I'll bet it was not.

Just for example: when you want new films as a new owner you'll have to send an advance. That can be as much as 2-5K (times 4) plus payroll, hiring staff/ security deps for everything/ you will go through 50K like .... something going really fast. There's a word for that... under-capitalized. # 1 cause of failure for small business. Alongside being unencumbered by any need for actual qualifications to undertake that which you are tilting at. Be careful. Can you stand to lose 50k?

Owning a boat is like tearing up hundred dollar bills in a cold shower. Starting a new business is like that. As to your model and location: I have no idea.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction