Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: popcorn going up

popcorn going up 26 Jul 2012 12:45 #38926

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
Our popcorn has gone up 26% in cost and the drought hasn't finished with corn yet. Will you raise counter prices to cover the increased costs of corn? Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

popcorn going up 26 Jul 2012 13:15 #38927

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
we're thinking about getting it straight from a local grower. $18 for 50#. Get it a pickup load at a time....it'll probably be higher next year, though.
"What a crazy business"

popcorn going up 26 Jul 2012 16:03 #38931

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
It has never made sense to me to promote an energy product that also includes something we eat.

We used to get our corn from a local person in the bootheel of Missouri. Was paying $11 or so for a 50# bag. About 3 years ago the price went up to $18 a bag. The seller told me it was because he lost farmers due to the farmers changing to corn for ethanol. We had to buy 50 bags at a time to get it delivered. At that point Sam's Club was cheaper at $15-16 or so.

Amount 6 mos. ago Sam's price went up to $21.

The bigger question is what will happen to the oil. As of today, no change......yet!

We raised our prices May 1 already due earlier price increases and expected price increases. Seems like the price of soda goes up every 9 mos or so even though they tried really hard to not have to raise prices.

popcorn going up 26 Jul 2012 16:25 #38933

• revrobor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Back in '06 when I managed a single-screener in Iowa I bought my corn from a local farmer. At the time I calculated the cost of putting a 148 oz bucket of corn together at less than a dime. Has the price increase really cut your profit margin that much?
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

popcorn going up 26 Jul 2012 16:31 #38934

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
revrobor wrote:
Back in '06 when I managed a single-screener in Iowa I bought my corn from a local farmer. At the time I calculated the cost of putting a 148 oz bucket of corn together at less than a dime. Has the price increase really cut your profit margin that much?

It has doubled since '06. Plus corn oil is in many popping oils. Plus corn syrup is in soda. I would bet all of those have come close to doubling in the last 6 years.

popcorn going up 26 Jul 2012 21:05 #38938

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
yep and soda too!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

popcorn going up 27 Jul 2012 10:40 #38939

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
When I re-opened my theatre in 1996, corn was $11 per 50# bag and oil was $29 for 5gal pail.

Now corn is $35 and oil is $82.

Also, the cost of the cups has more and doubled as well.

popcorn going up 29 Jul 2012 03:44 #38946

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
revrobor wrote:

The buckets alone have always cost more than that. They're more now. My power bill is 30% higher than in '06, and I've converted most of my cooking and hot water to gas since then. I'm on a commercial gas rate, but I have to keep a close eye on the bills or they'll "mysteriously" creep up.

Oil is up, corn is up, candy... good gawd! Fuel surcharges from the delivery people mean I make fewer, but larger orders. Labor, taxes, insurance, bank fees, all up, up, up! The price of commercial roll towels and TP just blows me away.

About the only thing that's held lately is bottled water. Sooner or later though, I bet they'll find a way to make that more expensive, too.
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2012 03:52 by rodeojack.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction