Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Great - When is 35mm Film gone- bet

The Great - When is 35mm Film gone- bet 22 Jun 2012 03:07 #38665

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
35mm will be obsolete. Eventually. I don't think anybody is arguing that point anymore.
However, there seems to be a disagreement (VPF & Bob for example) about when exactly it is gone.
Sounded like a gambling opportunity for me.
So here is my proposal:
Everyone guesses when the last of the majors stops making 35mm films. The person closest to the actual date wins. Bet is $10.00 and all winnings will be donated to a charity of the winners choice. No political or church organizations!
My guess is the 8/31/2014 and my charity is the Will Rodgers Foundation.

Hope that makes sense,
Jay
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Great - When is 35mm Film gone- bet 22 Jun 2012 04:52 #38666

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Jay,

While that question would be fun to guess, I do not believe it helps regarding when does a small theater feel the effect. For example: what if 2 studios decide to stop making film prints available 6 mos before the last studio makes that the decision you ask? Is that possible? Would that effect a theater's business? I can see Universal or Sony or Fox being the first ones to do that while Warner Bros would go much longer. I can't argue with your guess here at all. Which would be 2 more years and you could say Bob is right.

BUT, how practical is that question for the smaller theaters?

How about the month when 50% of the top 10 movies were only digital? This past February saw 8 movies open with more than 2800 locations and all did over $50 million. I believe this scenario could happen a year + before the question you ask. I believe that will next year. Would that effect the small theaters?

Or even more likely: the same scenario as above but 100 or so prints are made for the uninformed big grossers like Mike mentioned. You gross $200k per screen per year sure you get the movie. But how about the $35-50k per screen grossers? Folks like Roxy will still get that print eventually. That will happen in the first quarter of 2013. Would that effect the small theaters?

To me the question needs to be when will a theater in the 3000+ range will have problems opening a movie on the break that it has been accustomed to playing. That is a more important question and harder to measure.

Actually you could even say that day might already be here: www.bigscreenbiz.com/Forums/The-Lobby/38...r-some-theaters.html

You think having to close down for 2-3 weeks and run less than 50% for another 2 weeks hurt this theater?
Last Edit: 22 Jun 2012 04:57 by rufusjack.

Re: The Great - When is 35mm Film gone- bet 22 Jun 2012 13:42 #38668

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
great idea and needs more thought.... here would be a big indicator: if you could not open batman or Spriderman or Brave because they were all digital? Or do we pick 10 theatres and when they cannot get a print? Anyway.. I am in. Still need a true yardstick to be clear.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: The Great - When is 35mm Film gone- bet 22 Jun 2012 13:49 #38669

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Mike wrote:
great idea and needs more thought.... here would be a big indicator: if you could not open batman or Spriderman or Brave because they were all digital? Or do we pick 10 theatres and when they cannot get a print? Anyway.. I am in. Still need a true yardstick to be clear.

Those types of movies will be available in summer of 2014 I bet, as well as the big holiday movies in 2014. But what if that is the only thing you can get on the break if you are a 3500+ location theater? Can a theater survive by only playing the top 10 movies in any given year? Can you just close up Jan-April & Sept -Mid November?

Seems like we need multiple bets.

Re: The Great - When is 35mm Film gone- bet 26 Jun 2012 23:54 #38740

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Way to turn a light hearted attempt to raise some money for charity into a discussion :ohmy: .

Ok, this is now:
The Great - When is 35mm Film gone for everybody that doesn't earn enough money to justify a print, long after it is financially feasible for small theater to run 35mm - bet
same rules as above. Come on guys it's for charity...

Re: The Great - When is 35mm Film gone- bet 27 Jun 2012 03:28 #38745

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
THE LAST PRINT TO RUN OFF THE LINE WILL BE 12/ 2014---- BY THEN IT WILL BE DOWN TO 50 -100---PRINTS MAX-- THEN ZERO
MINE GOES TO ASPCA
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction