Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby is there any use for used 35mm?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: is there any use for used 35mm?

is there any use for used 35mm? 22 May 2012 13:34 #38524

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
I am getting more and more emails and calls: what should someone do with their used 35mm system? Does it have any value? My feeling is that the answer is NO and only as scrap. What do you think? If you were looking for a used 35mm system would you actually "pay" cash for it?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: is there any use for used 35mm? 22 May 2012 15:35 #38525

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Mike wrote:
I am getting more and more emails and calls: what should someone do with their used 35mm system? Does it have any value? My feeling is that the answer is NO and only as scrap. What do you think? If you were looking for a used 35mm system would you actually "pay" cash for it?

I will get rid of mine and will expect zero for it. Will scrap it I cannot get someone to take it off of my hands.

I would not pay for 35mm equipment. I know of a couple of people who have gotten equipment for free in ht last 60 days if they can haul it out of the way.

Re: is there any use for used 35mm? 22 May 2012 19:42 #38528

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Makes a great lobby display.

Re: is there any use for used 35mm? 23 May 2012 13:32 #38531

• Adam Fraser
  • Expert Boarder
I put mine in storage but I think they will end up being scrap. Perfectly good PR1004 XL, SH1000, Kelmar DD reader, CP55, etc. The base and lamphouse already went for scrap. I will be taking out machine #1 and platter also in the next few months, just keeping it for the summer in case of an emergency or mistake in shipping if they accidentally ship me a 35mm print.

I have heard there are a few companies that will pay pennies to get rid of your stuff, but I assume they are just taking it to the scrap yard also, lots of copper in old rectifiers.

Re: is there any use for used 35mm? 24 May 2012 03:53 #38535

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I've found homes for my used equipment by listing it on Film-Tech, and selling some of the equipment to overseas theatres where they expect to run 35mm for longer than the USA. There is also a niche market for 35mm collectors who have their own home theatres equipped with 35mm. Another potential market for used equipment is for domestic theatres who are still running 35mm for the next 2-3 years, and might need spare parts or a new head, as opposed to rebuilding their existing heads. There are quite a few small town theatres who will still be running 35mm right up until the very end, and they will still need parts or service until 35mm is completely gone.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: is there any use for used 35mm? 24 May 2012 04:14 #38536

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Last summer, I had to replace an interior lamphouse fan on one of my 35mm screens, knowing that it was probably the last year the lamphouse would be in service for my theatre. The replacement of the fan cost more than what I got for selling the entire lamphouse to another theatre operator this spring.

There will still be a large number of 35mm screens in operation through the next two years, so holding on to the equipment for parts value isn't completely hopeless. It's just a matter of how much trouble you want to go through to move and store the equipment, and find a buyer.

Incidentally, I still have three Century heads available for anyone interested, as well as two Kneisley II lamphouses, a very nice Isco Ultra-Star anamorphic lens, four proximity cue detectors, four Kelmar red readers with power supply, and several guillotine splicers. You might also be surprised what people might pay for them on eBay or Craigslist as collectors items.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."
Last Edit: 24 May 2012 04:15 by Transit Drive in.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction