Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby to use a booker? or should i go direct?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: to use a booker? or should i go direct?

to use a booker? or should i go direct? 18 May 2012 13:10 #38482

• actapon
in putting together my business plan, i'm looking to entertain with three products. 1) first run movies - this will be my primary booking. 2) "movie or two of the week" coming from second run and older films. and 3) renting out one of my auditoriums to live performing arts.

The venue has 5 screens (one of which has a full stage). Given i want a little bit control of what goes on my screens, I'm struggling to figure out if I want a booker to help give me that control... or if the booker would actually be the nucense and I'd want to go straight to the distributor.

This forum post leads me to believe the studio distrib salesmen can be the pushy ones....i'm not one to advocate for middlemen, but i think i understand there could be enough logistics here that a booker would help in my situation... thoughts?

Also - i've searched the forums, but i must not be searching for the right keywords... is it reasonable to think i can control my 5 screens? (note: exact location is still in question, i have another thread discussing that... but it's probable i'd be within 10 miles of competing theaters). If competing and using a booker, am i better to use the same booker as the other theaters, or try getting my own negotiator?
Last Edit: 22 May 2012 11:37 by actapon.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: to use a booker? or should i go direct? 18 May 2012 16:24 #38485

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
As a newbie, you NEED to use a booker. No way would I suggest a newbie book themselves. I doubt you will be using the same booker as the chains have their own people. I would suggest talking to a booker before you go any further.

Re: to use a booker? or should i go direct? 18 May 2012 17:29 #38486

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I totally agree.

There are several people on this forum who do their own booking, and from all appearances, are good at it. However, these are experienced folks, who already know how a local theatre works and how it relates to Hollywood.

Best to let a professional handle the booking while you get everything else under control... at least for awhile.

Re: to use a booker? or should i go direct? 18 May 2012 18:34 #38492

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Try Frank Rash at 402-223-5119. He's in Nebraska but books a number of states. Tell him I recommended him to you.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: to use a booker? or should i go direct? 18 May 2012 19:39 #38494

• actapon
Thanks - I'll definitely talk to a booker to get some advice and more info.

revrobor - does Frank Rash have an email address i can contact him by?

Re: to use a booker? or should i go direct? 18 May 2012 20:56 #38496

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I studied it for 2 + years and took over booking our 3 screen and have done well. On the other hand I book for others and they are relieved not to deal with very aggressive sales people, advances, finaing when the studios want you to hold, etc. etc. Bookers earn their money.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: to use a booker? or should i go direct? 18 May 2012 22:20 #38497

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
He does but I have lost it. As I recall he calls himself Theatre Booking Service.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 18 May 2012 22:21 by revrobor.

Re: to use a booker? or should i go direct? 19 May 2012 19:29 #38501

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Mike wrote:
they are relieved not to deal with very aggressive sales people, advances, finaing when the studios want you to hold, etc. etc. Bookers earn their money.

I seldom experience that (once a year maybe). But I do have 4 screens and normally keep movies on the break for 3 weeks and I seldom split. I spend 10 mins. a week on average handling booking duties. Summer time no more than 5 mins.

Now I do expect Monday for my Disney rep to push to keep The Avengers for a 4th week and rightfully so.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction