Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Texting to be allowed during films?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Texting to be allowed during films?

Texting to be allowed during films? 27 Apr 2012 00:17 #38333

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
The latest from CinemaCon - texting to be allowed during films?

www.deadline.com/2012/04/is-it-time-to-l...ng-a-film-cinemacon/

This is a subject that gets movie execs going based on the lively debate this morning at a panel about industry issues at the CinemaCon convention in Las Vegas. Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Jeff Blake kicked off the discussion saying that 20 years ago “kids would come every week” to the movies. But no more. “I’m concerned that the moviegoing experience isn’t just for baby boomers.” Regal Entertainment CEO Amy Miles says that her chain currently discourages cell phone use “but if we had a movie that appealed to a younger demographic, we could test some of these concepts.” For example, she says the chain talked about being more flexible about cell phone use at some screens that showed 21 Jump Street. “You’re trying to figure out if there’s something you can offer in the theater that I would not find appealing but my 18-year-old son” might. IMAX’s Greg Foster seemed to like the idea of relaxing the absolute ban on phone use in theaters. His 17-year-old son “constantly has his phone with him,” he says. “We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.” Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.” That set off Tim League, CEO of Alamo Drafthouse — a small chain that makes a point of throwing out customers who talk or text during a film. “Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater,” he says. “I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. … It’s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.” He says it should be “magical” to come to the cinema. But Miles shot back that “one person’s opinion of magical isn’t the other’s.”

Execs had other pet peeves. For example, Foster decries ads for TV shows in movie theaters. “My tentacles go up,” he says. “How is this possible?” Blake says that moviemakers face “a real challenge” overseas where theaters often mix ads with trailers. The trailer “is the lifeblood of producers and the marketing department” — and one of the top three reasons why people go to the movies. “It’s so important to play those trailers properly, lights down at showtime.” League, whose chain serves meals, also said that there’s “kickback” among consumers on concession pricing — especially the core staples. “Those prices do seem high to me,” he says. “You can get a pint of beer for less than it costs to buy a large soda.”
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Texting to be allowed during films? 04 May 2012 16:35 #38387

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
One of the panelist stated that when asked young people wanted to text in the theatre but when asked if they wanted to person in front of them to text the answer was no.

So even thought they think texting would be fun they don't want to be disturbed by the light of the person texting in front of them.

Re: Texting to be allowed during films? 04 May 2012 21:03 #38389

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
At my theater the worst offenders are the adults. (assuming we are grouping texting with internet browsing, facebook browsing, etc.) Most try to hide the screen light from others. We tolerate it. Not sure this battle is worth fighting.

Re: Texting to be allowed during films? 08 May 2012 00:08 #38410

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
It does not surprise me that the chairman of the largest chain would think this might be a good idea. It also does not surprise me that the chairman of Alamo is against this. Regal, AMC, and the other mega chains are responsible for the deterioration of the moviegoing experience. Independents like Alamo are the the ones on the front line fighting the "perception" problem we face in exhibition.

Re: Texting to be allowed during films? 08 May 2012 12:52 #38411

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
I do not care what you do in my theatres as long as it does not bother others. Quietly grope each other, sleep, refuse to look at the screen: fine. But your bright screen in the dark attacks my guest's eyes and forces them to dilate or whatever it is they do when they perceive light in the dark. It's not that I care if you text it is that your lighted object is an abomination in a dark theatre that has been prepared for the delivery of contoured and crafted light on screen.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction