Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I've Taken the Plunge

I've Taken the Plunge 10 Apr 2012 16:42 #38256

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Call me crazy, my friends, but I've finally taken the plunge and signed a lease on a theater. This is a one-screen, and we'll do it as a second-run with beer and pizza in addition to traditional concessions. The theater is currently open and running, but there are a few things I'd like to spiff up. So I'll take possession in June and plan on opening in late June or early July.

I've asked a lot of questions on this site, and y'all can now expect about a million more. But before I start asking away, I do want you to know how much I appreciate the input and advice I've gotten here. It's been a huge help.

So, I'm glad to share more details if you want them. Or if you want to know more about location, etc., please feel free to send me a message privately.

Thanks as always for your ideas on all of this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 10 Apr 2012 18:28 #38257

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
So....the most important question is what are your plans for digital. How long is your lease?

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 10 Apr 2012 20:31 #38258

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
Hey rufusjack! That is, indeed, the most important question. I'll be converting to digital within the year and have dealt with the financing, been working with a dealer, etc. I don't think I should disclose too much about the terms of the lease, but I'm happy with it, and it will allow me to stay in the building for the long haul if I'd like.

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 11 Apr 2012 20:50 #38260

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Congratulations! I hope thinks will work out for you.
Jay
P.s. Aim for late June. You do not want too much of summer pass you by.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPRM

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 11 Apr 2012 21:01 #38261

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you Keweler. I'd like to open as soon as I can in June, but there are a couple of landlord repairs I hope to have finished before I open the doors. (Never fear, friends, these things are addressed in the lease.)

Speaking of such things, how do seasons for second-run compare to seasons for first-run?

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 11 Apr 2012 21:35 #38262

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Speaking of such,how do seasons for second-run compare to seasons for first-run?

2nd run seasons are indeed different. The best season is summer which runs from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Next best and almost as good is the winter season from Christmas through Easter. Spring, April and May are fair, and by far the worst is the fall from Labor Day through Thanksgiving weekend. The period from Thankgiving weekend until Christmas is non existent. Good time to take vacation.

The best seasons for first runs are for the most part the same times of the year, except they start and end earlier. The summer season beginning at the start of May and slowing down at the end of July or the beginning of August. The winter holiday season runs from the beginning of November through to Christmas. January through April are mild and mid August through to Haloween are the slowest times.
Last Edit: 12 Apr 2012 17:04 by RoxyVaudeville.

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 11 Apr 2012 22:28 #38263

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Congratulations and best of luck. How much population is in your area? Let the show begin!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 12 Apr 2012 05:26 #38265

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Mike and Roxy.

The theater is in a well-populated area. It's in a city of about 50,000 within a metro area of about 2.2 million.

Re: I've Taken the Plunge 12 Apr 2012 17:37 #38267

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
JPRM

With a population base as you have, a 2nd run operated properly should do very well. Of course it will depend on how many other 2nd runs are sharing that population, and how those theatres are operated as to the degree of sucess.

If you operate your theatre as I have outlined on various posts here, and the others do not, you should be able to attract the largest share of the 2nd run market to your theatre.

Just remember... always think SHOWMANSHIP. Make your theatre as much a part of the show as the show itself.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction